About the organisation
About the Australian Museum
The Australian Museum is located on the traditional homelands of the Gadigal people of the Eora nation. The Australian Museum acknowledges the Gadigal people as the Traditional Owners and custodians of the land, sky and waterways, paying respect to Elders past, present and emerging.
The Australian Museum (AM) operating within the NSW Department of Enterprise, Investment & Trade cluster, is the first museum in Australia and was founded in 1827. The AM provides access, engagement and scientific research to increase our understanding of natural history and culture, particularly of the Australasian region. The AM holds more than 21 million objects of biological, geological and cultural collections and develops programs, exhibitions and school and community education initiatives onsite, online and offsite.
The new AM mission is: To ignite wonder, inspire debate and drive change.
The new AM vision is: To be a leading voice for the richness of life, the Earth and culture in Australia and the Pacific. We commit to transform the conversation around climate change, the environment and wildlife conservation; be a strong advocate for First Nations’ culture; and continue to develop world -leading science, collections, exhibitions and education programs.
For more information, visit the website.
The AM supports a diverse workforce and promotes applications from First Nation and Torres Strait Islander people. People with disabilities who meet the selection criteria are encouraged to apply; and where required, Australian Museum will implement reasonable adjustment consistent with industry standard.
About the role
Salary Classification: Clerk Grade 7/8 ($99,431 – $110,064) with a total remuneration package up to $122,556.74 per annum
Employment Status: Ongoing, Full-Time role
Location: Sydney, NSW – multiple sites
About the role
The purpose of the Consultation & CCEP Coordinator position is to collaborate with the Cultural Collection Enhancement Manager to coordinate the day-to-day operations of the Cultural Collections Enhancement Project (CCEP) digitisation teams, working with the team to create high quality records of the Museums’ First Nations Collections. Delivering electronic access to the collections and supporting long term preservation of the First Nations collections digitally with a focus on community consultation to enrich the outcomes of the collection enhancement process. This is the lead role for community consultation and First Nations voice on the project’s core team.
We are seeking a Consultation & CCEP Coordinator, ideally a Museum professional to make decisions about the day-to-day operations of the Cultural Collections Enhancement Project. This includes staff supervision, liaising and consultation with communities, and prioritisation activities for the First Nations Cultural Collections project team.
You will have:
- Experience in team leadership
- Experience in consultation with First Nations communities
- Experience with ICIP
- Experience in project management and reporting
- Aboriginality is an essential requirement for this position. An Aboriginal person (as defined by the NSW Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983) means a person who: Is a member of the Aboriginal race of Australia, and Identifies as an Aboriginal person, and is accepted by the Aboriginal community as an Aboriginal person.
- The role holder must be prepared to travel between the various sites which holds the AM collections, and to external stakeholders as needed to support the work of the First Nations Collections teams.
The successful applicant will be subject to a national criminal records check.
More information about applying for a role in the public sector can be found on the I work for NSW page.
Applicants must submit:
- A one to two page covering letter which outlines your suitability for the role.
As part of the online application process you will be prompted to answer two targeted questions.
- What cultural policies, protocols or considerations need to be taken into account when working with First Nations cultural collections? (400 words maximum)
- Give us an example of how you lead a team (or contribute as a team member) to achieving team goals and meeting agreed work or project standards? (400 words maximum)
Please click here for a Role Description
Enquiries: Laura McBride, Director First Nations firstname.lastname@example.org
It is a condition of employment at the Australian Museum that all employees, or prospective employees, be double vaccinated for COVID 19 or hold a valid medical exemption.
The Australian Museum welcomes applications from First Nation and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with disability. Please indicate if you have any accessibility requirements in your application or speak with the contact person should you be called for an interview. We provide reasonable adjustment for people with a disability during the recruitment process and on employment.
How to apply
Please quote in application: Consultation & CCEP Coordinator (Identified) via Pro Bono Australia.