About the organisation
About Strong Women for Healthy Country Network
In 2019, Rembarrnga, Dalabon, and Mayili Elders invited women caring for Country from across the NT to meet at Bawurrbarnda in Central Arnhem Land. Here, women from 32 ranger groups articulated a shared vision:
“We are strong Indigenous women of the Northern Territory. We stand united as one strong voice. We commit to a network that gives equal power to the rights of all our women. Strong Women means Healthy Country.”
Today, our network is known as the Strong Women for Healthy Country Network, reaching hundreds of women throughout the Territory. Currently, this network is proudly auspiced by Mimal Land Management Aboriginal Corporation while we design our own independent organization, with women from across 20 remote communities providing direction at ‘Message Stick Meetings.’
Women continue to gather at our forums and are collaborating, communicating, and advocating together as a network, putting our priorities into action. These priorities include supporting Indigenous women working as mentors in their communities and organizations, connecting them with critical services and each other, and delivering regional women’s healing camps.
About the role
About the Counsellor Role
The counsellor is a critical role supporting women caring for Country and community in a remote context. The counsellor would work with a small and supportive intercultural team based in Darwin. This role includes remote travel to support key events, meetings, camps, and workshops. This role will provide the right candidate with the opportunity to connect with Indigenous women across the NT, supporting both their mental health as well as building their skills to safely respond to the struggles of others. This opportunity is open to Indigenous women and non-binary people based in the Northern Territory.
Please note this position is identified for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander candidates only.
1. Provide in-person, over the phone, and virtual counseling and mediation to women caring for Country throughout the Northern Territory, including women impacted by domestic violence, alcohol and other drugs, and incarceration.
2. Deliver mental health first aid training to caring for Country support staff and mentors at forums and workshops.
3. Create safe spaces for support staff and mentors to connect and share their experiences with each other, such as online support groups and dedicated workshops.
4. Support the delivery of regional healing camps and workshops together with mentors, support staff, and traditional healers.
5. Assist employers of women caring for Country in creating safer and more respectful workplaces.
6. Support the development of the Strong Women for Healthy Country Network’s best practice policies and procedures.
Essential Selection Criteria
To be considered for the counsellor role, a candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant field
- Possession of or the ability to obtain mental health first aid instructor accreditation
- Eligibility for APS, AASW, or other equivalent counselor/therapist professional memberships
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a Northern Territory working with children (Ochre) check
- Experience living or working in a remote community
- Demonstrated experience providing professional mental health support to people impacted by domestic violence, poverty, alcohol and other drugs
- Experience facilitating workshops, yarning circles, or support groups
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work effectively in a team
Desirable Selection Criteria
- While the following selection criteria are not essential to the role, they would be highly regarded by the selection panel:
- Experience delivering mental health first aid training
- Experience working for an Aboriginal-controlled organization
- Experience working in the not-for-profit sector
- Experience and/or training in mediation and/or conflict resolution
- Experience operating a 4WD vehicle
If you are passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of Indigenous women and are committed to the vision of the Strong Women for Healthy Country Network, we encourage you to apply.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Counsellor – Strong Women for Healthy Country (P/Time) via Pro Bono Australia.