About the role
Under the direction and support from the Program Manager and CEO, engage with newly arrived refugees and migrants to provide basic English skills for daily life and conversation, both for beginner and Intermediate learners. Work within the philosophy and guidelines of Friends of Refugees Inc. ensuring that program policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to.
- Teaching background with adults
- Teaching english as additional language for newly arrivals
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office; Words, Excel, Internet and Outlook.
- Familiarity in working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to a variety of cultures and participants with special needs
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good listening skills and responding to participants needs within organisational guidelines.
Please note: a valid working with children check is required for this position.
About the organisation
Friends of Refugees is an independent not-for-profit organisation which has responded to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis and helps to create a positive future for people seeking asylum and refugees in Australia.
Founded in early 2013, Friends of Refugees Inc. (FOR) has developed as a practical response to address the complexities and changing needs of people seeking asylum and refugees in Victoria by filling the service gaps that other funded organisations do not meet. Friends of Refugees has become a central source of first-line relief for people seeking asylum in Melbourne’s south-east. The ranges of services we provide include material aid, food aid, education support, job training and resettlement programs. Our office in Dandenong operates as a drop-in centre which provides a welcoming and safe environment for people in desperate need.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Tutor – Adult English Program via Pro Bono Australia.