About the role
Would you love to:
- Know your role is critical to create connection and inclusion for Aspergers autistic individuals and their allies
- Use your financial skills to to empower our Aspergers autistic community with inclusive supports
- Join a progressive Board
Our Treasurer will oversee the financial administration of AV ensuring that financial procedures and reporting are best practice and adhering to legal requirements. You would also be part of the risk sub-committee which advises the Board on risk strategy.
Suitable applicants will be interviewed by two members of the Board and will be required to apply as a volunteer and hold a current Working with Children Check and National Police Check. This is a volunteer unpaid position.
As part of this key Board role, our Treasurer will liaise with the President/CEO & GM with staff to oversee our not for profit financial management and reporting in line with ACNC requirements and our Rules of Association outlined here . The Treasurer will :
- Report monthly to our Board and annually at the AGM about AV’s annual financial & risk plan including any regulatory reporting. Highlights financial issues and challenges.
- Oversee management of financial planning, systems and reporting of the organisation to support its growth strategy as well as compliance and best practice, adhering to legal requirements to support our growth and service delivery
- Oversee financial requirements for grant/funding applications and reporting
- With the GM, oversee staff, volunteer and contractor payments, payroll related HR approaches and superannuation including induction onto the system
- Assess and oversee association’s risk assessment and risk mitigation, including managing AV’s insurance requirements such as updating insurance to meet risk needs, insurance renewal, claims and reporting. Attends the risk subCommittee.
- Liaise with our financial and risk service organisations including accounting/audit suppliers, insurance brokers, grant providers and our Bank
- As with rest of Board, supports the vision, values, strategic direction and promotion of AV and supports our fundraising plans and efforts
- Full duties and requirements of this Treasurer role align with the Associations Incorporation Act and the Rules of AV.
- Lived experience with Autism, with positive mindset to neurodivergence
- Chartered Accountant or CPA or recent membership of either body. with proven accounting skills relevant to the role including accounting, payroll, superannuation, GST, audit, NFP financial management and accounting systems such as Xero.
- Passion to make a difference for autistics and neurodivergent in employment and social inclusion
- Strategic planning, critical thinking and influencing skills
- Experience in Board reporting is desirable and in using small business accounting software (Xero)
- Helpful if you have experience with leadership and/or Board accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy or the not-for-profit sector.
About the organisation
Our vision is A world where the strengths of all Asperger Autistics are celebrated, realised and valued
Aspergers Victoria (AV) is a registered DGR charity and association, and the representative membership body of our Aspergers autistic community in Victoria for over 31 years. AV has a unique level of knowledge and understanding of our Aspergers autistic community through providing lived experience support for over 31 years plus our small team is over 75% autistic, all with lived experience, supported by over 50 lived experience volunteers. Our Board has ultimate responsibility to set and oversee our strategic direction so we can achieve our Vision.
We offer a passionate environment to contribute to your autistic community and towards a greater purpose. For more information about the organisation visit here. AV has grown in the last 6 years and is now primarily funded through membership, events, services, grants and some government funding, with a new strategic plan focused on supporting Aspergers autistics’ social and employment inclusion to create organisation growth and sustainability. We provide social opportunities through peer groups and events, as well as programs for employment support all codesigned by our community. We also advocate regularly to create social and systemic change as well as educate the broader community all to build inclusion.
This Board role manages the financial performance of our Association and compliance with our governance duties including ACNC and grant requirements. The role is for a minimum of 2 years and will be supported by the CEO, GM and staff.
How to apply
If this role sounds like you and your desire to make a difference please apply by emailing your CV with a short email outline explaining why you’d like to apply for this Board role to email@example.com
Please quote in application: Board Treasurer via Pro Bono Australia.