About the role
The Brotherhood of St Laurence (BSL), in partnership with GoodStart Early Learning, deliver innovative programs to help children, parents and communities grow and thrive as they establish their lives. Operating at Children and Family Centres across outer Melbourne, these programs bring together BSL’s experience in family support and economic participation and Goodstart’s experience in providing a quality early learning and social inclusion service. The partnership delivers integrated, multi-disciplinary support to children and families at a crucial point in their development.
What will I do?
Based in Mernda at the Jindi Family and Community Centre, Children’s Support Volunteers will:
- Attend Early Years playgroups with children and families and interact with the children and caregivers.
- Engage children in play and activities
- Support the group facilitator before each session and debrief with them after the session
- Assist with manual handling tasks in setting up and packing up of the toys/activities
- Greet and direct families to play area
- Interact with families during the playgroup session and help in facilitating the session
What are we looking for?
- Experience or ability to work in a vibrant and busy group setting
- Ability to work with children and families from diverse backgrounds and support them from a strengths-based perspective
- Understanding of early childhood development.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in building positive and trust-based relationships with children
- Ability to work independently and effectively within a team environment
- Understanding of and empathy with the values of the BSL and Goodstart
We are especially keen to involve the following people in our Tuesday sessions:
- People experienced in working with neurodiverse children (student placement requests welcome)
When will I volunteer?
Volunteering days are negotiable. Our programs currently operate at the following times:
Mondays: 9.30am -11.45am
Wednesdays / Thursdays 10am-12.15pm
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Children’s Programs Support via Pro Bono Australia.