About the role
Our Memory Lane program supports people who have been diagnosed with a life limiting illness. By providing specialised transportation, our volunteers help to create extraordinary moments for people in end-of-life care. These moments are intended to bring joy to our clients and provide memories for their families and friends.
Every Memory Lane journey is a unique, personal experience designed to meet client expectations. Goals of Care are agreed with each client, their families and treating clinicians prior to undertaking the journey.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Safely transferring the client to and from their bed/wheelchair/chair at either a health care facility or their home to the Memory Lane stretcher.
- Safely transporting the client and their carer/loved ones in the Memory Lane vehicle to and from the requested destination.
- Safely using the oxygen and suction if required within the Memory Lane vehicle to support the client during their journey.
- Safely transferring the client from the vehicle to the venue at the destination and set up the client to enjoy the experience with their carer/loved ones.
- Assisting the client to enjoy their requested destination i.e. ensure they are comfortable, move around the venue, take photographs on client devices if requested.
- Maintaining the Memory Vehicle including
- Be familiar with all aspects of the vehicle.
- Refuel vehicle post journey
- Clean inside and outside post journey
Volunteers do not deliver any clinical care i.e. medication administration, catheter care. A heath care clinician from the client’s health care provider may accompany the client on the journey dependent on their health care needs. If there are clinical care requirements, this is completed by the accompanying health care clinician or the client’s carer.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Bachelor of Health Science (Paramedic), or
- Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance Transport Attendants), or
- Certificate III in Non-Emergency Patient Transport (Patient Transport Officers)
- Recent experience working in Emergency and/or Non-Emergency Patient Transport in patient transportation.
- Experience in the use of Power Pro XT – Electronic Stretcher (desirable)
- Hold a FULL Victorina Drivers licence and have the ability to drive a large vehicle in both city and country traffic conditions
What we offer volunteers at RFDS:
- Volunteer for Australia’s most reputable charity (11 out of 12 years) and most trusted charity (last 3 years)
- Orientation and practical training
- Access to a member of staff to a member of staff for supervision and support.
- Clear information about the client’s Memory Lane journey including information relating to the client’s condition and the accessibility of the requested destination.
- All materials and equipment, including personal protective equipment as required.
- Volunteer personal accident insurance.
- Use of a purpose-built and fully insured vehicle for volunteering.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program.
Mandatory vaccination policy:
As part of the application process, you will be required to provide evidence of the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B
- Chicken Pox
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis
- Annual Influenza
- COVID-19 (2 vaccinations + booster)
All positions are subject to a National Police Check and holding a Working with Children Check
About the organisation
Proudly serving Australians since 1928, the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) provides emergency road, aeromedical and primary health services for people in rural and remote Australia. We believe in creating opportunities so all Victorians have the choice to access essential primary health care services.
The Flying Doctor Memory Lane program is based on the Ambulance Wish service established in 2007 in the Netherlands by a paramedic. Our program has been assisting end-of-life clients to visit a place of significance to them since May 2021.
A client’s wish might be to visit their favourite beach and enjoy fish and chips by the sea; go home to the farm; have a coffee with friends at their favourite café or to go home and spend time in their garden with their family. In 2023 we also assisted two clients to attend family weddings and another client was able to attend their partners funeral.
How to apply
Please quote in application: Volunteer Paramedics/Patient Transport Officers - Memory Lane via Pro Bono Australia.