About the Role
COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEER – SIERRA LEONE OR LIBERIA
Location: Rural and urban areas of Sierra Leone and Liberia
Dates: Very Flexible
Duration: 4-12 weeks
Do you have professional expertise that could help Street Child share content from the field for our supporter communications?
Street Child is a charity dedicated to empowering some of the most vulnerable children in the world by giving them the chance to go to school, and giving their families the sustainable means to keep them there.
We are looking for people with relevant experience to undertake a voluntary communications role and make a critical contribution to our organisation by sourcing and reporting stories that will bring to life our work to engage our existing and potential supporters.
121 million school-aged children are currently out of education worldwide, mainly in the world’s poorest, most fragile and disaster-hit countries. Millions more children are in school but failing to learn. Street Child recognizes that the barriers to education are complex and interlinked, and our projects focus on a combination of education, child protection and livelihoods support to address the social, economic and structural issues that underpin today’s learning crisis.
We offer 4 to 12 week placements where you will have the opportunity to shape your own experience according to your skills, knowledge and goals. This is a wonderful chance to make a substantial difference to an organisation that goes where others won’t and is quick to respond, including in remote, hard-to-reach areas and fragile, disaster-affected states.
Working alongside the local Street Child team and liaising with the communications team in London, responsibilities will include –
- Creating content in the form of case studies and blogs from the various Street Child projects
- Written & visual story-telling of how the charity’s work has impacted individuals
- Adding engaging photographs & film footage to the organisation’s visual media library
- Training local staff on case study writing and photography
- Weekly reporting to the UK team
- Highly self-motivated and proactive, with the ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to plan and implement plans in a structured manner
- Excellent communication skills, fluent English, both oral and written
- Independent and able to make decisions with little guidance
- Ability to be flexible and to work outside of your specific duties when needed, have fun and laugh along with a sometimes unpredictable environment
- An interest in Africa, international affairs and/or international development would be of benefit
|The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions when required, and to travel independently to urban, rural and remote project sites. The applicant must be able to manage his or her work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team.
A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK staff. Flights and food are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and will require sharing rooms with another volunteer of any gender. A detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for interview.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organisation.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 02076147696
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Communications Volunteer- Sierra Leone/ Liberia via Pro Bono Australia.