About the role
We’re building a connected, skilled, diverse and vibrant grassroots network that will stand in solidarity with the women we work with around the world. Together we can take action to address the root causes of poverty and injustice through our campaign to secure decent working conditions for women in the garment sector.
We want you to be a part of it!
We’re recruiting leaders from across Brisbane to come together and to discuss and strategise on how we stand in solidarity with women garment workers fighting for their rights in the Global South.
As a Community Leader you will lead and establish a community of volunteers that will campaign locally on international women’s rights issues. You’ll be trained in campaigning, community organising and ActionAid’s Human Rights Based Approach.
Time Commitment: Once a week, for 2-4 hours. Minimum 6 months commitment.
Roles and responsibilities
- Working with your local Activist group to carry out actions and events within your local community.
- Participating in monthly group meetings (held online or face to face).
- Contributing to the organising and logistics of planned events that fall within a set budget.
- Supporting the local group to carry out set objectives that contribute to the campaign.
- Supporting the Group Coordinator with volunteer inquiries as needed.
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights.
- The ability to commit to supporting ActionAid projects in your community for at least 3 hours a week, for a minimum of 6 months.
- The ability to support the movement remotely, with a computer, mobile phone and access to the internet.
- A commitment to our values: Mutual respect; Equity and justice; Solidarity; Honesty and transparency; Humility; Courage of conviction and Independence.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- Passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play to achieve a fairer and more equitable world.
What we will provide
- Training in community organising, campaign strategy and ActionAid’s Human Rights based approach.
- A connection with an international movement of supporters who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- A chance to be part of building ActionAid Australia’s presence and grassroots network from the very outset.
- The knowledge that you’re contributing to a fairer and more equitable world.
About the organisation
ActionAid Australia is a women’s rights organisation, working to advance the rights of women living in poverty in communities around the world. ActionAid works in more than 45 countries.
For more information, please visit our website at https://actionaid.org.au.
How to apply
Please submit applications via email to Outreach Support, Jazmin Migliore, at email@example.com using the subject line 'EOI – Brisbane Community Leader'. Please include a short paragraph about yourself and outlining why you think you'd be a great fit for the role.
We actively encourage women, people with a disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, People of Colour, LGBTQIA+ and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities to apply.
We will contact you within a fortnight from your application. If you have any additional questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Community Leader (voluntary) – Brisbane via Pro Bono Australia.