About the role
Peace Brigades International is looking for a new member of the International Council with experience of financial management. Work directly with people committed to the protection of human rights.
As an International Council member, you can expect to:
- Gain skills and experience in the governance and management of an international human rights organisation
- Gain an understanding of and contribute to the strategic direction and functioning of PBI
- Work directly with a highly committed group of people dedicated to putting into practice the protection of human rights and promotion of nonviolence.
Human rights defenders are at the heart of all we do at Peace Brigades International.
We provide protection, support and recognition to local human rights defenders who work in areas of repression and conflict and have requested our support. We believe that lasting transformation of conflicts cannot come from outside, but must be based on the capacity and desires of local people. We avoid imposing, interfering or getting directly involved in the work of the people we accompany. Our work is effective because we take an integrated approach, combining a presence alongside human rights defenders on the ground with an extensive network of international support.
Founded in 1981, PBI has many years of experience working alongside human rights defenders, opening and protecting space for peace, conflict transformation and the defence of human rights in 14 countries. We are a life-saving international presence in areas of conflict and repression, and a powerful global advocacy network protecting those on the ground. We have worked in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Sri Lanka, North America, Haiti, Nepal and the Balkans as well as our current field projects in Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico and Nepal.
The International Council (IC), made up of up to 13 independent board members, is responsible for governance. All IC members are directors of the PBI non-profit corporation registered in the State of Washington, USA.
We are currently recruiting a new IC member who has finance management skills and experience gained in PBI and/or in other organisations.
ESSENTIAL SPECIFIC SKILLS
All members of the IC take on specific responsibilities to support the function of the entire council and organisation at large. We are specifically looking for someone who can contribute effectively to the work of the Finance and Audit Committee.
This committee has oversight responsibilities for budgeting, finance reporting, financial management and accountability across the organisation. This group advises the IC on issues of financial planning and accountability, ensures timely and accurate financial reporting, and develops and oversees the implementation of policies and procedures for best practice.
Skills and experience required: financial management and/or accounting experience within international NGOs.
ESSENTIAL GENERAL SKILLS
- Political awareness and familiarity with global issues relating to peace and human rights. Experience in the field of human rights defender protection would be an asset.
- Skills in political analysis and capacity to analyse complex situations
- Commitment to and understanding of the principles and mandate of PBI
- Experience of and commitment to working with decentralised and/or field-based international organisations
- A sound understanding of strategic planning and oversight
- Able to travel to and participate in a four day IC meeting once a year, and take part in monthly meetings by conference call
- Able to serve on the IC for three years
- Able to commit an average of 10 hours per month
- Fluency in English and/or Spanish
- Candidates with prior experience working with PBI are encouraged to apply
As a rights-based global organisation we seek to have inclusive representation on the IC. Women and people with diverse backgrounds, particularly from the Global South, are strongly encouraged to apply. People with English and Spanish language skills are preferred.
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: International Council Member with finance expertise via Pro Bono Australia.