About the role
30 hours per week, days/times negotiable within normal business hours
The Legal and Policy Officer will be responsible for all legal and legal policy work undertaken by Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia. The role will involve diverse tasks including supporting client access to documentation, advocating for law reform through submission, and training organisation staff.
The role will support Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia clients to access the legal system, by providing legal referral, managing requests for access to confidential client information, corresponding with external agencies including police, and preparing supporting documentation. The role will develop policy and advocate through submission to inquiries for law reform on a wide variety of issues related to sexual, family and domestic violence, across every Australian jurisdiction. Finally, the role will support Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia staff to understand legal processes and respond to any organisational legal needs.
The Legal and Policy Officer will not provide legal advice or legal representation.
Key Accountabilities and Work Performed
- Support clients to access the family law system, the criminal justice system, victims support and other legal processes, by providing legal information, but not advice, and referrals.
- Support clients involved in legal processes, by preparing supporting documentation based on client engagement with Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia services.
- Manage all requests for access to confidential client information received from clients, police, lawyers, victims support agencies, or other bodies.
Further details in the Position Description (please click here)
Selection Criteria Form (please click here)
Essential Selection Criteria
- A Law degree (note: you need not be admitted or have a practising certificate)
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of legal responses to sexual, domestic and family violence across the criminal justice system, the family law system, and victims support schemes
- Strong understanding of the causes and consequences of sexual, family and domestic violence from a feminist perspective
- Strong understanding of how sexual, domestic and family violence affect diverse communities, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse communities and LGBTIQ communities
- Dedication to the principles of feminist and client-centred practice
- An understanding of the impacts of trauma and how practice must be responsive to, and supportive of, someone experiencing trauma
- High level legal research and analysis skills
- High level written communication skills, including the ability to draft both legal documents and policy briefs
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to convey complex legal concepts in plain English to clients and staff
- Proven ability to manage a workload independently and meet deadlines
- Initiative and accountability to ensure high quality results
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Knowledge of legal responses to sexual, family and domestic violence across various Australian jurisdictions
- Knowledge of sexual assault communications privilege across various Australian jurisdictions
- Experience working within the criminal justice system, the family law system and/or victims support schemes
- Experience working with women impacted by sexual, family and domestic violence
- Experience working with diverse communities, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse communities and LGBTIQ communities
- Experience working in the Women’s Health or NGO sector, including Community Legal Centres.
About the organisation
Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia is committed to upholding the rights of all women to live in a socially just and equitable society and the right of all people to live free of violence. The organisation provides services nationally and internationally in the area of sexual assault, domestic and family violence.
The organisation works with all stakeholders and in accordance with its vision, mission, principles and goals.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Legal and Policy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.