About the Role
This role is initially for a 12-month contract with the possibility of a permanent role subsequently.
Joining a committed team, the Youth and Adult Support Officer will work with the Family Support Officer and the Education Team to provide information and support when needed.
The role is based in Stafford, Brisbane and is full time, 5 days a week with some evening and weekend work required.
Key responsibilities and duties of the role include:
- Build relationships with and provide information, support, advice or referral to people with Down syndrome and their families, particularly in relation to Youth and Adult related areas
- Maintain up-to-date specialist knowledge about employment and social opportunities within the community including services, funding, programs, organisations, resources and key contacts. Including maintaining up to date information on the Youth and Adult components of the website.
- Provide NDIS Support co-ordination services to Down Syndrome Queensland clients
- Provide training and resources to those with Down syndrome, or those who are supporting people with Down syndrome in an educational, social or employment setting.
- Manage the Queensland Down Syndrome Advisory Network and support the Queensland member of the Australian Down Syndrome Advisory Network.
- Inform Down Syndrome Queensland policy and position on issues for individuals with Down syndrome and their families
- Support the functions of Down Syndrome Queensland, including phone answering, meetings and liaison with other departments of the organisation. Act as backup for the Family Support Officer role.
The overall goal of the position is to empower people with Down syndrome and their families to help themselves, not to provide intensive case management.
You will need to be a social worker or have had significant work experience in a related field.
The role is under the Social, Community, Home Care & Disability Services Industry Award (Modern Award). Level according to qualifications and experience.
Benefits and perks
Generous charity salary sacrifice benefits as well as leave loading are available.
Skills and experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in social work or a related field or significant work experience in a relevant field
- Understanding and commitment to principles of choice and control, and community inclusion for all abilities
- Understanding of and experience in working in the NDIS environment
- Demonstrated experience in, and contemporary understandings of, the disability sector in its current environment, including the transition to NDIS and service delivery
- Knowledge and understanding of the key challenges of Down syndrome in youth and adult population
- Knowledge and experience in training and group facilitation
- A strong work ethic with a collaborative team approach
- Demonstrated IT ability using MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and social media
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends (with appropriate compensation)
- Current driver’s license and willingness to use private vehicle if required.
About the Organisation
Down Syndrome Queensland is committed to ensuring that people with Down syndrome, their families and the people who work with and care for them are informed, empowered and supported. The Youth and Adult Support Officer is an essential part of this commitment, providing information and support to people with Down syndrome, family members, employers, medical professionals and community members.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 0733566655
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Youth and Adult Support Officer via Pro Bono Australia.