About the role
Background to the position
CMS Australia is currently seeking a professional Honorary Archivist based in the Sydney CBD. The successful candidate will work as part of the CMS-Australia Business Administration Team. It is envisaged that the successful applicant will work one day per week.
CMS-A has engaged an Honorary Archivist since 1990. Many of the archives are held in the State Library of New South Wales and those generated in the Northern Territory with the Northern Territory Archives Service in Darwin. CMS-A continues to have control of these distributed records. The collection is highly valued by these institutions because of its importance to Australia’s role in the Northern Territory and abroad.
Purpose of the position
The overall purpose of the role is to ensure that full and accurate records of all business transactions are created, managed and retained for as long as is required for legal, administrative and research purposes.
- Developing policies and procedures for current records management and archives
- Managing the archival records including appraisal, development of disposal authorities, and arrangement and description of archives,
- Providing researchers with access to archives
- Supervision of a small reference library
The position reports to the Finance Director but also works in conjunction with the International Director and Regional Mission Directors regarding access to records; the Business Analyst regarding the management of electronic records for permanent retention. The position gives advice to all staff regarding the management of current records.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Applicants should be qualified as an Australian Society of Archivists Inc. accredited professional.
Experience in some of the following areas is desirable;
- Designing and implementing a records management system especially in a small business environment,
- Policy and procedure preparation,
- Setting disposal periods for records of various kinds,
- Making access directions,
- Arrangement and description of archives especially the Australian Series System
- Working with personal records including knowledge of the Privacy Act, 1988 (Cw’lth),
- Familiarity with protocols for dealing with Aboriginal records,
- Meeting information needs of the staff
- Providing access to records
- Working in a distributed management environment
- Working in an increasingly electronic records management environment
Applicants are required to be experienced in using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and Access.
About the organisation
CMS-A (the Church Missionary Society of Australia) is a fellowship of Christian people committed to cross-cultural mission. CMS-A works in partnership with local churches to set apart long-term workers who cross cultures to share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
CMS Australia was founded in 1825 as an auxiliary of the Church Missionary Society in the United Kingdom. The Society began sending out missionaries to work in various parts of the world in 1892 and to North Australia in 1908. The Church Missionary Society of Australia and Tasmania was formed in 1916. The company was incorporated in 2009. The CMS-A fellowship includes administrations in all states and territories that work cooperatively with CMS-A.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Honorary Archivist via Pro Bono Australia.