About the role
We are seeking an experienced and dedicated Support Co-ordinator or Local Area Co-ordinator looking for an exciting opportunity to provide specialised support co-ordination for people with Down syndrome. The NDIS Support Co-ordinator will assist clients to build their capacity to make decisions and choices about the implementation of all supports in their NDIS plan, including mainstream, informal, community and funded supports.
This role is part-time (approx. 3 days a week with some flexibility), fixed term (12 months) with possibility of extension and is located in Stafford, Brisbane.
Salary range $60-$70k full time equivalent, plus super, plus charity salary packaging options (up to $15,899 tax free), leave loading at 17.5%, paid leave and flexible working conditions
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties of the role include:
- Support clients and carers to understand their NDIS plan, goals and objectives
- Deliver coordination of supports to individuals with an NDIS plan:
- Research, coordinate and manage complex and intersecting supports to suit individual needs across multiple providers, ensuring client choice and control
- Work with mainstream service providers including negotiating services and prices to ensure maximum value for money is achieved and service obligations are met
- Support clients to build their capacity, resilience and networks with the aim of greater choice and control and independence in managing their personal choices
- Work with clients to access and navigate the My Place portal and to establish service bookings and service agreements
- Arrange any assessments needed to determine the nature and type of funding and supports required
- Co-ordinate the budget for each support type and advise any relevant plan manager of the breakdown of funds and the appropriate claim categories and attribute funds accordingly
- Assist clients to prepare for plan reviews by helping them assess whether they achieved their goals and received value for money for their plan, identify solutions to problems experienced, and to consider new goals
- Assist clients to communicate with the NDIA when required to support their own plan requirements
- Maintain effective and timely record keeping and reporting of services provided to cover Down Syndrome Queensland and NDIS requirements, in particular documentation to demonstrate that service procedures are followed.
- Inform Down Syndrome Queensland policy and position on NDIS related issues for individuals with Down syndrome and their families
- Undertake other duties as appropriate as required by the Support Services Manager
Skills and Experience
The successful applicant will have:
- Experience in Local Area Co-ordination or Support co-ordination along with a diploma or tertiary qualification in degree in Human Services, Social Work or related disciplines
- Demonstrated strong time management skills including prioritisation of competing tasks
- Demonstrate understanding of the challenges faced by people with a lived experience of Down syndrome and/or intellectual disability
- Understanding of public sector and community-based service systems relevant to people with lived experience
- In-depth understanding of the NDIS.
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills to build rapport and interact effectively with clients, families, staff and other agencies
- Knowledge of available services and service providers and the ability to create connections and build understanding of the available services that can be accessed under the NDIS
- Understanding and commitment to principles of choice and control, and community inclusion for all abilities
- Demonstrated IT ability using MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel
- Current driver’s license and willingness to use private vehicle if required.
- Availability and willingness to work outside regular hours when required
Acceptance of the position involves a willingness to work within the philosophies and policy directions of Down Syndrome Queensland.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo satisfactory pre-employment checks including professional referees, completion of a satisfactory police records check and working with children check.
Down Syndrome Queensland is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people with a disability to apply for all positions.
About the organisation
Down Syndrome Queensland (DSQ) is a not for profit organisation providing a variety of services from experienced and professional staff. DSQ is committed to ensuring that people with Down syndrome, their families and the people who work with and care for them are informed, empowered and supported. We work with families across Queensland.
At DSQ we have three core values: Integrity, Passion and Inclusion. Our values express what we stand for and guide the way we do things. Our values are core to our business, and we align everything we do with them.
How to apply
Please quote in application: NDIS Support Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.