About the role
We are looking for someone who has advanced policy advocacy skills as well as the capacity to lead a small and committed team while our current manager is on maternity leave.
- Develop and deliver against objectives within strategic priorities, including leading CBM Australia’s desire to grow sector and political commitment for Disability Inclusive Development
- Enables a strategic-outcome focus which ensures targets are met, policy and advocacy positions, and influencing strategies are developed
- Key player in the Public Engagement management team with focus on strategy, budgets, activity plans, reporting, systems and processes
- Leadership of the ACE team involving development of work plans and coaching and mentoring
- Lead the development of an evidence-based advocacy and community engagement strategy and activity plan in line with CBM Australia strategy
- Provide strong advocacy and government relations including development of key messages and policy, lobbying engagement, awareness raising, networking and capacity development
- Drive CBM Australia’s approach to engage the public in advocacy and Disability Inclusive Development and conduct awareness and education activities in support of strategic objectives
- Develop CBM Australian networks and represent CBMA to external stakeholders to grow understanding and promotion of Disability Inclusive Development
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience in advocacy in the International Development sector, preferably with understanding and experience of Human Rights and Disability Inclusion
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating innovative and effective advocacy and community engagement strategies and approaches
- Knowledge of international development trends and context and understanding of the Australian aid Sector
- Strategic thinking with an ability to be both proactive and reactive, in a constantly changing political landscape and a fast-paced environment
- Ability to understand complex policies, finance documents, development environments and politics, and influence results
- Strong contacts in the International Development sector and the Federal Government
- Excellent attention to detail with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Collaborative leadership skills, experience managing and coaching a team, proactive problem solver, respectful and happy to seek out exceptional skills of colleagues
- Knowledge of Christian communities and coalitions, and volunteering would be an advantage as this role oversees the Church and Volunteering areas of CBM
CBM Australia is committed to workplace equity and diversity and encourages applications from Australian Residents with diverse cultural backgrounds and people with a disability. CBM Australia is committed to the safety and best interest of all children accessing CBM supported services, programs and workplace. Relevant background checks including working with children, police and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed.
About the organisation
CBM Australia’s Advocacy and Community Engagement (ACE) team takes the lead in engaging the Australian development sector and government on disability inclusive development issues. We aim to foster a strong and enduring commitment to disability inclusion from these stakeholders in order to ensure that the rights of people with disabilities are addressed in all international development and humanitarian policy and programs. Our advocacy is undertaken to amplify, not replace, the voices of people with disabilities in developing countries so we work in close partnership with disabled persons organisations and self-advocates. We also advocate, in partnership with other organisations in the sector, for the Australian Government to increase the scale and effectiveness of the Australian aid program.
How to apply
CBM Australia offers competitive salary packaging, flexible working conditions and professional development opportunities.
If you would like to join our organisation please Click Here and include a cover letter addressing your interest and what you have to offer. For further information a full Position Description can be obtained from our website www.cbm.org.au. Applications close 24th January 2021.
Please quote in application: Head of Advocacy and Community Engagement via Pro Bono Australia.