About the role
About the Role:
We are seeking women who are committed to the principles of social justice and the advancement of women and children’s wellbeing with relevant governance and professional experience to join our Board.
We are looking for a woman that has experience in working with Non Government Organisations (NGOs) or charities within the homelessness sector and an understanding of domestic, family violence within Aboriginal communities.
Your primary role as Director will be to:
- Contribute in setting and driving the strategic direction of the organisation
- Understand, governance and oversee the organisations’ overall operations and performance
- Provide advice, opinions, and independent judgement to inform Board decisions
- Attend and actively participate in bi-monthly Board meetings (80% attendance rate required), Annual General Meeting, strategic planning meeting and meetings as required
- Involvement in Board subcommittee and take responsibility in the areas of expertise when needed.
- Represent the organisation in external functions, and meeting with the funding bodies and stakeholders as required.
Role requirements and criteria for selection
Applications are invited from individuals who have demonstrated a high level of skills/experience in any of the following areas:
- Financial management/governance
- Human Resource/People and culture management
- Legal expertise
- Development and delivery of a Domestic & Family Violence service
In addition to the above specialised skills, interested director candidates should have:
- A good understanding of a governance role
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Strong understanding of the Aboriginal communities and culture, and evidenced belief in the aims and principles of the operation of AWCCS
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of Domestic Violence services or the Not-For-Profit sector more broadly
- Financially literate
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively with other directors
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly personality
Appointment of the Directors is subject to successful Working with children check, police check, and ASIC background checks.
About the organisation
Aboriginal Women and Children’s Crisis Service (registered as Marrickville Women’s Refuge Limited) is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. We are an ACNC registered charitable organisation.
Our mission is to enhance wellbeing of Aboriginal women and children. We provide crisis accommodation and holistic support services for Aboriginal women and children, and women with Aboriginal children who are homeless or at risk of homelessness due to Domestic and Family Violence Inner Sydney.
How to apply
Please submit a completed EOI form and your current resume to email@example.com or post it to P.O Box 170, Newtown 2042
For inquiries, contact: Tracey Robinson on 02 9558-1702
Please quote in application: Board of Directors (Voluntary Positions) via Pro Bono Australia.