About the role
Oaktree is Australia’s largest youth-run international development organisation which is at the leading edge of innovative, youth-led development across Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region. Oaktree stands in solidarity with youth-led organisations, collectives and movements across the region and provides flexible funding and support to enable them to lead change. Oaktree also works to give young people in Australia skills and opportunities to lead change.
We are seeking additional people to join our Development & Policy Sub-Committee.
As a youth-run organisation, we value the knowledge and expertise of young people. People under 30 are strongly encouraged to apply. We are also seeking to capture diverse lived experiences and perspectives on the DPSC and strongly welcome applications from women, non-binary & gender diverse people, people of colour, First Nations people and people with disability. We strongly welcome applications from people who live in, or are a migrant from, a country in the Pacific or Asia.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Believes in the power and importance of youth-led initiatives to achieve sustainable and positive social change.
- Approaches their work with humility & integrity, and is excited about exploring new and innovative strategies for addressing global injustice
- Values working in partnership and solidarity to support grassroots programming and initiatives.
- Has experience working to address social injustice including in international or community development, advocacy and campaigning, research or youth-led organising within Australia, Asia and/or the Pacific.
- Has a diverse network of relevant contacts in Australia, Asia and/or the Pacific.
As a member of the DPSC, you will be responsible for:
Supporting Oaktree’s Impact team to deliver effective, youth-led strategies to address global injustice. You will do this by:
- Providing input and advice on strategic considerations and decision-making processes relating to Oaktree’s international and domestic impact work.
- Providing guidance and mentorship to the Oaktree Impact Team – this could include support on project design and management, partnership processes, advocacy initiatives & monitoring and evaluation of impact.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on project proposals and reports.
- Connecting Oaktree with relevant contacts in the youth and international development sectors to support their work
Assisting the Oaktree Board of Directors in fulfilling its responsibility for oversight of the development and policy activities of Oaktree. You will do this by:
- Reviewing new project and partnership proposals and making recommendations to the Board about selection before final approval;
- Overseeing Oaktree’s impact strategy and monitoring progress, including reviewing project evaluations and annual progress reports.
- DPSC Committee members are required to attend DPSC meetings six times a year, often on a Tuesday evening from 6pm-8pm AEST (attendance can be in person or online). There is generally 2-4 hours of preparation for each meeting.
- DPSC members are asked to be available for 1-2 hours per week to provide mentorship and support to Oaktree’s Impact Team.
- We ask for a minimum 12 month commitment from DPSC members.
If this sounds like you, then head on over to apply on our current opportunities page. This is an ongoing recruitment, where applications will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis until the position is filled. With any questions, please contact the People and Culture team at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the organisation
Oaktree is young people leading a movement to end extreme poverty. Extreme poverty has already been halved and together we can end it.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Development and Policy Sub-Committee (DPSC) Member via Pro Bono Australia.