About the Role
In 2017, the Mission to Seafarers celebrated 100 years of service in the heritage-listed building at 717 Flinders Street, Docklands. Serving a special place in the life and community of those who live and work at sea, the dedicated team of staff and volunteers provide comfort, a friendly face and a sense of community to the thousands of seafarers who visit the Port of Melbourne annually.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Greet, welcome and transport seafarers from the Docks to the Flying Angel Club, and back again
- Confirm pick-up time and location by speaking and liaising with security at the docks or on the phone
- Chat with seafarers and answer any inquiries about shopping and tourism
- Listen to the seafarers’ needs and concerns and, if appropriate, refer them to a member of staff
- Other duties as required
Skills and Experience
- Confidence navigating Melbourne’s freeways and busy streets
- Quick thinking and good time management
- Pleasant manner and well-developed people skills
- Ability to drive a 12-seater van
- Current Victorian Driver License (car)
- Healthy appreciation of volunteering and willingness to work within the ethos of the Mission to Seafarers
Successful volunteers will receive training specific to the role, a Volunteer Information booklet, ongoing support and mentoring, and will join a current driver on trips until a level of understanding and confidence is reached to drive alone.
We ideally need volunteers who are able to start as soon as possible and while we understand that all volunteers have many different obligations, a minimum commitment of four hours per week is required for this role.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : (03) 9629 7083
Please quote in application: Drivers for Visiting Seafarers via Pro Bono Australia.