About the role
- Casual opportunity based in Campbelltown/ Bankstown, NSW
- Join a nationally recognised provider of mental health and disability services
- Provide social and activity support to those in need
- Access to ongoing support and training/development opportunities
About this opportunity
Step Forward has been created to assist Wellways participants in South West Sydney to achieve their social and activity needs. Working according to recovery principles and supporting people to achieve their chosen goals can eventually mean that they no longer require our services. Wellways recognises that the loss of those services can sometimes lead to a reduction in a participants’ sense of social connection and meaningful activity. This program promotes peer to peer befriending as an integral part of the recovery journey by assisting our participants to bridge the step from our groups and activities to those more generally available in the community.
Volunteers assist with social inclusion by supporting participants in a range of activities, such as joining social interest groups, exploring different activities or hobbies, and building confidence in connecting with their local area, such as the gym, neighbourhood, library, parks, art galleries, and walking paths. Volunteers are guided by the participant, by finding out what ‘community’ means to them and how they would like to participate. Volunteers have pre-existing knowledge of the local community, enabling varied opportunities for community connection.
To be successful in this role, you will possess the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of mental health issues preferred. Lived experience welcome.
- Empathetic, caring and compassionate nature.
- Current valid Driver’s License or ability to catch public transport and the ability to undertake regular travel.
- Right to Work within Australia.
- Satisfactory Police Records Check [less than 12 months old] and Working with Children Check (Volunteer), prior to commencement – or willing to obtain
- NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) Worker Orientation Module Certificate is mandatory prior to commencement: https://www.ndiscommission.gov.au/workers/support-for-workers/training-course
Wellways Australia is a leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring all Australians lead active and fulfilling lives in their community. We work with individuals, families and the community to help them imagine and achieve better lives. We advocate for change to make sure people can access the best possible care and information when they need it. We provide a wide range of services and assistance for people with mental health issues, disabilities, youth and older Australians and those requiring community care.
How to apply
To apply and to download a copy of the role description please visit our web page (https://www.wellways.org/get-involved/step-forward).
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Lisa Davidson, Volunteer Coordinator on 0401128165 or firstname.lastname@example.org
First round of recruitment closes on Friday April 9th COB
Applicants must be able to attend a 1-hour group workshop interview on Friday April 16th
“We warmly encourage people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and people with a lived experience of mental health and disability to apply.”
Wellways Australia Limited is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people.
All applicants applying for roles within Wellways must undergo a screening process prior to their successful appointment.
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0401128165
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Volunteer – Step Forward | South West Sydney Region via Pro Bono Australia.