About the role
Sharing Stories Foundation’s three year strategy is to systematically change the way schools and teachers access and implement authentic Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) Perspectives Across Curriculum so that Indigenous young people grow up in culturally safe schools with increased life opportunities.
The Director of Education will have the passion to lead this strategy, a background in curriculum writing, and experience within state and national education systems.
Purpose of Role
The Director of Education will be responsible for the oversight of the planning, implementation, and tracking of specific short and long-term projects including:
- Working with Senior Cultural Custodians to develop seven integrated units of work for grade 5-6, based on community produced media and books as core text
- Managing logistics for project delivery
- Developing and managing relationships with, local, state and national education delivery partners. Developing and implementing a Distribution Strategy for Integrated Units and Media (Education Packages) locally and nationally
- Reporting to the General Manager
- Working with the SharingStories team to support evaluation, communications and reporting
- Must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent*
- Ideally 5+ years curriculum/resource writing
- Ability to design, plan, implement and track project work
- Excellent communication skills
- Relationship management skills, ability to build and maintain relationships of trust and respect with all partners and communities
- Ability to travel between 10 – 14 weeks per annum to metropolitan, regional and remote communities
- Ability to work with and understand sensitivities regarding Indigenous and diverse cultures
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities and projects
- Ability to work independently from home office and collaboratively as required
- Strategic and systematic, able to use online project management systems as required
- Takes initiative, proactive
*This organisation considers that being Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW).
About the organisation
Sharing Stories Foundation (SSF) works with Indigenous communities to protect, maintain and grow language, stories and cultural heritage. Engaged as a culturally safe broker, SharingStories delivers tailored, community-based programs and tools, and facilitates the publication and distribution of cultural products including iBooks, education packages, permanent and touring installations.
How to apply for this role
To apply please email your CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Director of Education Application
To request a copy of the Position Description, or to request a call back for a confidential discussion about this role, please email your request.
If you’d like to learn a little more about SharingStories Foundation please have a look at our website on www.sharingstoriesfoundation.org.
Applications close 10th August with interviews the following week and induction soon after.
Please quote in application: Director Of Education via Pro Bono Australia.