About the role
GetUp is looking for an Environmental Justice Campaign Director to lead the organisation’s Environmental Justice team and campaigns work.
SCHADS Classification Level 8, salary range $98,725.68 – $102,925.68 per annum (pro-rata) + superannuation, determined by relevant experience and qualifications.
This is a permanent full time contract ideally based in Sydney. However, we are open to flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
At GetUp, we know our capacity to drive progressive change is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience – and especially comes from a background of lived experience on the issues we work on.
Who is the Environmental Justice Team
GetUp’s Environmental Justice Team of talented campaigners lead the organisation’s work defending people and the planet from the climate crisis and environmental damage. The team prides itself on deep strategic thinking as well as the ability to seize crucial moments when taking immediate action can make a massive difference. We recognise that affected communities are at the heart of our work and we are always looking for ways to apply a strong rights and social justice lense to our campaigning.
Our days are filled with analysing the political state of play, developing long-term and rapid-fire strategy, engaging with politicians, media and affected communities, spotting the right moment to intervene, running impactful tactics including everything from protests to undercover investigations, writing hard-hitting copy, and coming up with creative ways to give our members the best chance for impact.
The Environmental Justice Campaigns Director is responsible for:
- Determining and driving campaign strategy in accordance with team goals and organisational strategy;
- Ensuring high-quality campaign content across all GetUp channels;
- Determining appropriate actions quickly, in light of the latest news and developments;
- Ensuring GetUp campaigns are appropriately researched, planned for and evaluated;
- Achieving team fundraising targets, and managing team expenditure;
- Representing GetUp in the community and media;
- Leading on engagement strategies with key stakeholders, including political offices;
- Ensuring a strong team culture of experimentation, innovation and evaluation;
- Managing campaigns teams to success, including setting and monitoring work outcomes.
You will be someone who has/is:
- a deeply held commitment to social justice, who is passionate about creating progressive change, specifically environmental and climate justice;
- adept at thinking through complex politics and communicating simply and clearly, and who thrives in a fast-paced office environment;
- capable of working autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and takes the initiative to do whatever it takes to get the job done;
- a formidable manager who knows how to take care of their staff and can coordinate a team to success, celebrate and evaluate; and
- passionate about growing and strengthening a movement of everyday people committed to tackling the climate crisis
- at least five years of relevant professional experience.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in GetUp-style online campaigning;
- Digital fundraising experience;
- Experience working in the media cycle and
- Policy training or experience
About the organisation
Who is GetUp
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members, movement partners and a central team of expert strategists. Together, we do what it takes, with fierce integrity, to make extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness, First Nations Justice and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, or fighting against an offshore regime of detention and deterrence of people seeking asylum – we have a decade-long history of mobilising a movement to win.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Environmental Justice Campaign Director via Pro Bono Australia.