Technology Work Sheets for Not for Profits
11 October 2004 at 1:10 pm
When an IT staff member suddenly leaves or your network spontaneously implodes, Not for Profits will be in better shape to pick up the pieces if they document the organisations technology systems according to Techsoup.org.
Keeping track of your technology is much easier when your technology records are up-to-date. By taking inventory of your hardware, software, networks, and technology staff, organisations will be better able to work with consultants, plan for technology changes, and cover when staff leave.
Techsoup.org has developed Technology Inventory Work Sheets to document an organisation’s technology.
The Work Sheets allow organisations to take inventory of the network, hardware, software, staff, and vendors allowing them to deal effectively with problems, plan for technology changes, and work with new consultants.
The 24 pages of Work Sheets cover every aspect of an organisations IT needs with the most important at the top.
Techsoup.org suggests that not all the sheets have to be filled in to get good results.
Some general rules for using the work sheets:
– Once you’ve filled a section out, KEEP IT UP-TO-DATE. Don’t skip the paperwork when you make changes, or you’ll regret it.
– Always put the current completed/updated date on a document.
– Record the name and position of the person filling out the form, and the names of people who provided information in the document (this makes updating and clarifying information much easier).
– There is some duplication between the sections. You only need to record information in one place, but whichever one you choose, delete the question from the other place so it’s easy to keep the documentation consistent.
– If you need more space, copy tables or sections as necessary.
– copy the worksheets into another format if necessary
– If you keep these documents on a hard drive (which makes editing and updating easier) ALWAYS keep a printed copy too (keeping a copy off-site isn’t a bad idea either).
You can visit the TechSoup website at: www.techsoup.org
Or if you would like an electronic version of the techsoup.org work sheets in Word Format just send us an email with “Techsoup.org work sheets” in the subject line to email@example.com.