Civil Voices
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD
NEWS  | 

Charity Addresses Clothing Bin Waste


Monday, 8th November 2004 at 12:11 pm
Staff Reporter
Hard waste dumped around charity clothing bins is an ongoing problem for charities around the country and now the Brotherhood of St Laurence (BSL) and FM Recycling are doing something about it.

Monday, 8th November 2004
at 12:11 pm
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Charity Addresses Clothing Bin Waste
Monday, 8th November 2004 at 12:11 pm

Hard waste dumped around charity clothing bins is an ongoing problem for charities around the country and now the Brotherhood of St Laurence (BSL) and FM Recycling are doing something about it.

According to Ian McHutchison, the BSL General Manager of Social Enterprises in the past year his organisation has collected over 1,000 tonnes of hard waste from around our charity bins in Melbourne alone.

McHutchinson says while they are always grateful for donations to help fund their programs and services, it costs around half a million dollars each year to pick up dumped and unusable goods and take it to landfill.

He says this is unacceptable and they are now diverting some of this waste to be recycled through FM Recycling.

Chris Todorovski, the Director of FM Recycling says the Charity Waste Recovery Centre will divert over 5,000 tonnes of waste from landfill over the next three years.

The aim is to recover 70 per cent as recyclable or reusable materials and only the remaining 30 per cent will be sent to landfill.

FM Recycling currently collect, sort and distribute goods donated through 1,200 charity bins across Melbourne on behalf of the Brotherhood of St Laurence, Open Family and the Australian Red Cross.

The Charity Waste Recovery Centre was developed in partnership with EcoRecycle Victoria, Smorgon Steel Recycling, The Pratt Foundation and Visy Recycling as part of the Victorian Government’s Towards Zero Waste strategy.

The partners have provided financing, resources and support to the BSL and FM.

Smorgon Steel Recycling will receive all the mixed steel and aluminium collected at the centre and Visy Recycling will handle the books, paper and cardboard. A range of other materials including tyres, plastics, mattresses, car batteries and foam will also be recycled by specialist companies.

Peter Morrison from Smorgon Steel Recycling says the partnership underlines the Smorgon Steel Group’s commitment to the environment and at the same time it allows it to support the community through the Waste Recovery Centre.

Nick Harford from Visy Recycling says the Brotherhood of St Laurence and FM have developed a great centre that ensures economic, environmental and social sustainability. Visy is pleased to be part of this program and support such a great initiative.

Ian Coles, Chief Executive of EcoRecycle Victoria officially opened the centre.



FEATURED SUPPLIERS


Yes we’re lawyers, but we do a lot more....

Moores

We specialise in data solutions consulting and IT profession...

DQUBE Solutions

Helping the helpers fund their mission…...

FrontStream Pty Ltd (FrontStream AsiaPacific)

HLB Mann Judd is a specialist Accounting and Advisory firm t...

HLB Mann Judd

More Suppliers

Tags : Recycling,

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Recycling the Unrecyclable

Ellie Cooper

Wednesday, 13th July 2016 at 11:20 am

Eco-concept Offers Many a New Lease on Life

Staff Reporter

Wednesday, 11th December 2013 at 11:17 am

Soft Landing in Social Enterprise

Staff Reporter

Wednesday, 26th June 2013 at 12:09 pm

‘Vending Machine’ Recycling Plan for Australia

Staff Reporter

Wednesday, 17th April 2013 at 11:45 am

POPULAR

Luke Batty Foundation to Close as Rosie Batty Steps Down

Luke Michael

Monday, 19th February 2018 at 5:37 pm

Calls to Remove ‘Blanket Religious Exemptions’ for Faith-Based Charities

Luke Michael

Friday, 16th February 2018 at 2:35 pm

Sharp Decline in People Accessing Disability Support Pension

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 21st February 2018 at 4:59 pm

Employee-Led Mutual to Deliver NDIS Services in SA

Luke Michael

Monday, 19th February 2018 at 10:54 am

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


c
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!