New TO DGR Categories
Monday, 17th July 2006 at 1:07 pm
The Australian Tax Office has announced six new general categories of Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) which came into effect from July 1, 2006.
The move allows taxpayers to claim an income tax deduction for certain gifts of money or property to the following types of organisations that are endorsed as DGRs:
– scholarship funds – public funds established to provide money for eligible scholarships, bursaries or prizes
– Australian disaster relief funds – public funds for relief of people in distress as a result of a declared disaster which occurred in Australia
– animal welfare charities – charitable institutions that provide short-term direct care and/or rehabilitate certain animals
– charitable services institutions – charitable institutions that would be a public benevolent institution but for their health promotion and/or harm prevention activities
– war memorial repair funds – public funds established and maintained for the reconstruction or critical repair of a qualifying war memorial, and
– developed country disaster relief funds – public funds established by a public benevolent institution for relief of people in distress as a result of a declared disaster in a developed country.
Organisations that want to be endorsed as DGRs must apply to the Tax Office. The application form and related products are currently being updated to include the new categories.
You can order the new DGR application mail pack which includes the new form, instructions and the updated guide GiftPack for deductible gift recipients & donors by phoning the ATO on 1300 130 248.