Melbourne Community Foundation Hosts US Expert ‘Super’ Hero
Monday, 26th March 2007 at 12:35 pm
Meet Peter Hero: The man who raised $US1.6 billion for the Silicon Valley Community Foundation and now hands out up to $US3 million per week in charitable grants!
Peter Hero is the guest of Melbourne Community Foundation and will be in Melbourne and Sydney in April as part of MCFs tenth anniversary celebrations.
Hero, the recently retired CEO and now a consultant to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation is an international expert on community foundations.
Community Foundations are one of the fastest growing forms of philanthropy world wide.
The growth of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation (SVCF) since Hero became CEO is remarkable. In 1989, SVCF had just $9 million in assets. Following a merger last year with a neighbouring community foundation it now has $1.6 Billion in assets and 1,400 sub-funds. The Silicon Valley Community Foundation (SVCF) makes grants to charitable projects and organisations in excess of $150 million each year, about $3 million a week.
CEDA together with Melbourne Community Foundation and DLA Philips Fox are hosting a breakfast to meet and hear from Peter Hero during the Melbourne leg of his visit.
Over breakfast Peter will give an overview of how the SVCF has engaged and worked with corporations in their philanthropic giving and CSR activities.
He will highlight:
• Benefits of working with community foundations and the advantages for corporations and individual donors
• The processes undertaken by corporations when they came to SVCF
• How they have partnered to fund community projects and initiatives and the results for those communities
• How corporations have used SVCF to research projects that align with their CSR programs; and
• How he turned his foundation into a one-stop service centre for donors, both individuals and corporations.
Venue: DLA Philips Fox, 40 William Street, Melbourne
Date: 20 April 2007
Time: 7.00am for a 7.30am sharp start
Cost: $55.00 members $75.00 non members
For more information please contact Tess Stomski at CEDA on 03 9652 8410 or email email@example.com