Social Impact Awards
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  | 

Financial Crisis - A 5 Year battle for NFPs


Monday, 16th March 2009 at 2:51 pm
Staff Reporter
Australian Not for Profits face a five year battle with diminishing funds according to a dire warning delivered to participants at the Nonprofit Financial Forum in Melbourne last week.

Monday, 16th March 2009
at 2:51 pm
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Financial Crisis - A 5 Year battle for NFPs
Monday, 16th March 2009 at 2:51 pm

Australian Not for Profits face a five year battle with diminishing funds according to a dire warning delivered to participants at the Nonprofit Financial Forum in Melbourne last week.

Hugh Hodges, the CEO of ANZ Trustees told the Forum that Not for Profits should expect and budget for as much as a 30% drop in revenue in the next year and to expect another 10% drop in the second year as part of the rolling impact of the financial crisis.

Hodges pulled no punches when he told the audience "you will suffer". Hodges said Not for Profits have been living beyond their means with some fund managers telling them what they can afford to spend and organisations going out and spending it without realising the longer term impact of not reserving some of the gains made in the bull market for a rainy day.

He said now is the time for NFPs to engage with their fund managers and get them involved in their strategic decisions and that they should focus on one or two trusted advisors.

During audience discussion, Hodges was asked if Not for Profits should go into deficit to fund their programs.
He responded by saying avoid running a deficit at all costs. Another panel member added a cautionary note saying that some Foundations don’t like giving to organisations with deficits.

And finally Hugh Hodges predicted that it would take another two or three years for the Not for Profit sector to fully recover after hitting the bottom of the economic downturn as it would take some time before donors and companies felt themselves to be back in a position where they could give again.




Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Tags : Fundraising,

 Print

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Australians’ generosity a “mixed bag”

Maggie Coggan

Tuesday, 20th August 2019 at 8:23 am

New FIA short courses address skills gap in fundraising sector

Contributor

Thursday, 15th August 2019 at 9:01 am

Government under pressure to take action on fundraising reform

Luke Michael

Thursday, 15th August 2019 at 8:19 am

Fix fundraising: ‘The horse has well and truly bolted’

Wendy Williams

Wednesday, 7th August 2019 at 4:45 pm

POPULAR

Disability groups call for better quality plans in NDIS review

Luke Michael

Monday, 12th August 2019 at 4:51 pm

Gillian Triggs to shine a light on Australia’s refugee treatment

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 12th August 2019 at 5:04 pm

Australians’ generosity a “mixed bag”

Maggie Coggan

Tuesday, 20th August 2019 at 8:23 am

ACNC takes action on charity linked to controversial animal farm

Luke Michael

Monday, 19th August 2019 at 5:24 pm

Social Impact Awards
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!