ACOSS Annual Conference – Fast Approaching
25 February 2010 at 4:17 pm
The Australian Council of Social Service annual conference is to be held at Rydges Lakeside Canberra on 25-26 March, 2010.
The conference is a key opportunity to examine Australia through the perspective of those with low income – what policies and programs are working, what we need to change, and how that can be best achieved.
In recent years the conference has attracted over 500 attendees from a broad section of community and welfare organisations, state and federal government departments, tertiary institutions, business, unions and individuals with an interest in community issues and social justice.
Clare Martin, ACOSS CEO, says she is pleased to announce two international speakers who will be presenting at the conference – Charles Michalopoulos from MDRC, a Washington social policy centre on responding to the challenge of long-term unemployment, and Bob Wyatt from the Muttart Foundation, Canada, will give an international perspective on the third sector.
She says the ACOSS national conference is shaping up to be a thought-provoking, informative exchange of ideas.
Sessions at this year’s conference include:
- Private sector investment in affordable housing
- The challenge of remote housing in Aboriginal communities
- National health reform agenda
- Reforming Australia’s taxation system
- Population – A big Australia?
- Income management: issues and perspectives
- Emerging equity issues in 2010
Confirmed speakers at this year’s conference include:
- Senator the Hon Nick Sherry
- The Hon Sussan Ley MP
- The Hon Bill Shorten MP
- Senator Rachel Siewert
- Professor Graeme Hugo – University of Adelaide
- Don Henry – Australian Conservation Foundation
- Dr John Falzon – St Vincent de Paul Society
- Olga Havnen – Australian Red Cross, NT
- Chris Richardson – Access Economics
Early bird registrations have been extended to 5 March 2010. Sponsorship and exhibition opportunities are still available.
For more information and the full program, go to www.acoss.org.au.