TITAN
NEWS  |  Careers

Changemakers – Barbara Ward

Monday, 16th January 2012 at 9:50 am
Barbara Ward, the Managing Director of the Sydney Adventist Hospital (San) Foundation, is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines insprining people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 16th January 2012

Changemakers – Barbara Ward
Monday, 16th January 2012 at 9:50 am

The San Foundation is the charity arm of the Sydney Adventist Hospital and it raises much needed funds to provide enhanced patient care and their well being. The Foundation is an integral part of the hospital and the community and it assists in providing a holistic patient centered care in the community. Ward was previously head Head of the Anglican Retirement Village (ARV).

What drew you to the Not for Profit sector?

My deep desire to help anyone and everyone. My role in this sector for the past seventeen years has been a privilege it has given me a great opportunity to “make a difference” I know it’s a bit of a cliché’ these days but I genuinely believe like so many that I can and am making a difference. My previous few roles have given me a tremendous insight into organisations and individuals that I would otherwise not have –in life we encounter many people and I have made many friends through work and I treasure these special things in life. Fundraising is a specialised skill, as I take on this new role it is “vital” that I use all my expertise to grow this Foundation. I have been fortunate I get to meet people from various walks of life, politicians, very rich, corporate industry leaders to the most needy in our community; I don’t think I would ever get this sort of cross section of interaction in any other role/career. I am amazed at the breadth and depth of involvement in a range of activities from people. In this or any sector in my view, the essence of good person and leadership has always been, and will always be, personal integrity – remaining true to your own values, your own beliefs and your own sense of right and wrong.

I think if you are not determined to take lead in this sector than you will achieve little. So many people are so wonderful I see many acts of kindness in my daily life which gives me strength and courage to do more and it makes me stronger. I always believe that if I want something to happen for the better then “Be the change you want to see in the world”

What is the best thing about working in the Not for Profit sector?

The Not for Profit sector is a formidable force that makes a huge contribution in our community at many levels and great things have been achieved. Life is a journey and I am glad how mine has been so far and I am excited about the future working and serving our community. I am able to look beyond the present and identify future opportunities that others may not see and to be realistic about what's achievable in the world. I think I enjoy the contact with people, to be physically able to reach out and show that I care, to be loving, warm and to have the capacity to understand and help. It gives me so much joy when I can put a smile on someone’s face by simply doing something that often can be a little thing but a big one for them. People are so grateful and appreciative …how can you NOT help, it’s something within me that’s always whispering in my ear that I must do more.

There’s so much uncertainly in this world, poverty, loneliness, unwanted and disease, to help these people is very humbling. I think we have to show people you love them, to be in touch with their emotion, love when shared multiplies itself, and to do that you need words and emotions. Each day I take away a sense of accomplishment and feel empowered because I know that I am doing the right thing by providing an excellent support one matter what it is. Most of all I love the curiosity “what makes people tick”

I consider my greatest achievement to be……

Positive way to bring about change with lots of energy, patience and tolerance

Favorite saying …

Smile – it costs you nothing and makes everyone happy…… Live in the moment.

I’m always being asked for…

Help

My greatest challenge is …

To persuade people to be more understanding and compassionate in giving of their time and money.

What inspires you?

My family values that are based on Christianity….. The most wonderful smile on the face of some of the most needy and vulnerable people in the world.

Who inspires you?