Community Sector Banking
News  |  Careers

Changemakers - Michelle Jewels-Parsons

Monday, 27th February 2012 at 9:12 am
Michelle Jewels-Parsons, Business Development Manager for SIDS and Kids South Australia, is profiled in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 27th February 2012

Changemakers - Michelle Jewels-Parsons
Monday, 27th February 2012 at 9:12 am

Michelle Jewels-Parsons, Business Development Manager for SIDS and Kids South Australia, is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

SIDS and Kids South Australia is dedicated to the reduction of infant and child mortality as well as the provision of bereavement services for all families who have experienced the sudden and unexpected death of a baby or child from twenty weeks gestation to 6 years of age.

What are you currently working on in the organisation?

SIDS and Kids South Australia celebrates its 35th birthday this year, along with 25 years of our most famous and successful event, Red Nose day, so there is a lot going on. I am working on making this years Red Nose day the biggest ever, and invite any corporate friends or community groups to get on board and support this amazing organisation, that has clearly shown it can withstand the test of time!

What drew you to the Not for Profit sector?

Working within the telecommunications industry through the mid 1990’s felt a bit meaningless, and I really felt in my being that I was destined for more. It became important to me at that stage that my life make a difference to others, it just took me another 10 years to figure out how! I think the birth of my son in 2001 made me look at the world from a totally different perspective.

What is the best thing about working in the Not for Profit sector?

Knowing that I am making a difference each and every day to people I may never even get to meet! And that I am not just a number in a huge corporation counting dollars. My roles I have held in the Not for Profit industry have been my life’s biggest blessings, and I am very grateful for the lessons they have taught me.

Favourite saying…

My favourite saying reminds me not to work from ego or for recognition….
‘Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, ‘you owe me’. Look what happens with a love like that – it lights up the whole sky’. Hafiz

What inspires you? Who inspires you?

I am inspired by so many people. Some of my biggest inspirations have been from very generous and grateful people, such as His Holiness, The Dalai Lama and Mother Teresa. Both exhibited pure selflessness, generosity and compassion for others. I have learnt from them always to be grateful for what you have, and never ever forget to say thank you. ‘If the only prayer you ever say in your life is thank you – that is enough’ Meister Eckhart.

We need to learn to be for others. Generosity of spirit and kindness I see in others inspires me to be a better person.