Go Salary
News  |  Careers

Changemakers - Kate Hutchinson

Monday, 19th March 2012 at 9:58 am
Kate Hutchinson, executive director and co-founder of Connecting Hands, is profiled in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 19th March 2012

Changemakers - Kate Hutchinson
Monday, 19th March 2012 at 9:58 am

Kate Hutchinson, executive director and co-founder of Connecting Hands, is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Connecting Hands is a Not for Profit organisation that provides the support required to sustain and enrich the lives of women and young children affected by human trafficking in Cambodia.

How long have you been working in the Not for Profit sector?

14 Years

What do you like best about working in your current organisation?

I feel extremely privileged to be able to support young victims of trafficking & sexual slavery in Cambodia. I feel compelled to be their voice and to share their stories in the hope that one day we will be able to eradicate sex slavery in women and children.

I feel so fortunate to be able to sit with and talk to young survivors of sex trafficking. I find that despite the horrendous conditions that most of the wonderful brave young survivors of slavery have endured, they always seem to be able to reach into my heart and teach me something. This only strengthens my commitment to support their futures free from slavery.

I consider my greatest achievement to be…

Co Founding Connecting Hands and supporting young women and children affected by Sexual Slavery.

Favourite saying…

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I’m always being asked…

How do you cope with spending time with young women and especially children who have been affected by sexual slavery, I would feel so sad?

Whilst this is a fair question, I always love the opportunity to respond to this. Whilst what the women and children have been though is harrowing, there is hope. With support from charities such as Connecting Hands in conjunction with AFESIP Cambodia that provide safe havens to enable the rescue, rehabilitation and reintegration of young women and children, there is always hope. It is always so inspiring to sit with youngster and hear of their goals and visions for the future and actually be able to support and help them to achieve the goals they set out for themselves, it is so motivating. We currently have a young 18 year old studying to be a lawyer at our centres and she is doing extremely well. This is existing stuff indeed.

What are you reading/ watching/ listening to at the moment?

I am completely hooked on The Big Bang Theory TV series, so funny. I am also enjoying the latest series of MKR (My Kitchen Rules).

What (or who) inspires you?

My best friend & sister Deb who is my partner in crime (as the co Founder of Connecting Hands) without her amazing support, I would not be able to do what I do. She motivates and inspires me more than she realises, and I am so grateful to have her in my life. We make a great team!

One Comment

• Anonymous Anonymous says:

Dear Kate,

its great to read the positive feelings and hope for victims of trafficking that you & Deb provide in Cambodia through connecting hands.

If your organisation ever plans to branch out to other countries please consider Kolkata, India. There is a huge need for good rehabilitation homes in Kolkata.

May God’s grace be with you & your team in your work .