Sharing the Wealth of the Lucky Country - ACOSS Conference
Thursday, 1st March 2012 at 11:22 am
|Last year's conference in Melbourne|
The peak body for Australia's community and social services sector, ACOSS, is hosting its 2012 National Conference in Sydney on the 29 – 30 March, 2011 with the theme Sharing the Wealth of the Lucky Country.
ACOSS says the Conference is the premier national event for policy-makers, researchers and those engaged in social services and advocacy.
This year's conference brings together a high profile group of speakers including Don Henry, Eva Cox, Mark Butler MP, Simon Sheikh, Tanya Plibersek and Tim Costello.
They will join key leaders, researchers, and other workers in the community sector to dissect a wide range of social policy topics and issues relevant to equality and community service in contemporary Australia, around the central conference theme: ‘Sharing the Wealth of the Lucky Country.'
ACOSS has also invited the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader to present their visions for improving equity and fairness in Australia.
ACOSS says as inequality in Australia continues to increase, this year's event promises to address the policy, programs and action needed to promote fairness and equality.
One of the highlights will be a panel discussion addressing opportunities for employers to support disadvantaged jobseekers, featuring major players in business, politics and the community sector, chaired by Sky News host David Speers.
The conference will culminate with a discussion addressing the new frontiers of social policy over the next decade and ask a collection of well-known panelists to imagine Australia in 2030.
In addition to a packed two-day conference program, ACOSS will be hosting a very popular NGO Media Forum on Wednesday March 28.
- Annabel Crabb | Political Editor, ABC Online
- Anne Hollonds | CEO, The Benevolent Society
- Catherine Gander | CEO, Women's Refuge Resource Centre
- David Locke| Special Adviser, The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission
- David Speers | Political Editor, Sky News
- Diana O'Halloran | Professor, Department of General Practice, UWS
- Don Henry | CEO, Australian Conservation Foundation
- Eva Cox| Research Fellow, Jumbunna IHL, UTS
- George Megalogenis | Columnist, The Australian
- Jennifer Westacott | CEO, Business Council of Australia
- Judith Yates | School of Economics, University of Sydney
- Lesley Hall | CEO, Australian Federation of Disability Organisations
- Louise Tarrant | National Secretary, United Voice
- Rebecca Huntley | Director, The Ipsos Mackay Report
- Richard Weston | CEO, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation Limited
- Simon Sheikh | National Director, GetUp!
- The Hon Robert McClelland MP | Minister for Housing, Minister for Homelessness
- The Hon Sussan Ley MP | Opposition Spokesperson for Employment Participation
- The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP | Minister for Health
- Tim Costello | CEO, World Vision
- Tshibanda Gracia Ngoy | Human Rights Young People's Medalist 2011
Where: Australian Technology Park, Redfern, Sydney
When: Thursday 29 – Friday 30 March, 2012
ACOSS is offering financial support to people with disabilities and people from rural and regional organisations to attend the conference. For full details, including sessions, speakers, and program visit the website: www.acoss.org.au