Source Business Directory
NEWS  |  Careers

Changemakers – Lachy Ritchie

Monday, 17th September 2012 at 9:59 am
Lachy Ritchie, CEO and Co-Founder of Dismantle, is profiled in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 17th September 2012

Changemakers – Lachy Ritchie
Monday, 17th September 2012 at 9:59 am

Lachy Ritchie, CEO and Co-Founder of Dismantle, is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Dismantle’s vision is a world in which bicycles become the primary means of transport, resulting in healthy people, liveable communities and a thriving planet. They use three distinct ‘areas of action’ to work towards this vision: The Community Bike Workshop, The Bike Rescue Project and the Corporate Program.

What are you currently working on in the organisation?

We are currently hunting funds to enable us to deliver our Bike Rescue Project initiative to remote and rural communities all over WA. The Bike Rescue Project is a transformative engagement and mentoring program for at-risk and disengaged youth. Participants turn trash into transport as they dismantle and restore two bikes, keeping one and donating the other to a local charity. The initiative is being reshaped to provide strong employment based outcomes for young people in remote and rural communities.

What is the best thing about working in the Not for Profit sector?

For me it’s about challenging the way things are and working with inspired people every day. People who work in this sector are doing it for more than just money (clearly!), so I love working and interacting with people who genuinely care about their roles in the community. People are here to make a difference. And that inspires and drives me forward.

Favourite saying …

“To be the best we can in this world. We can, each of us, put our inner house in order” – E.F. Schumacher 1973.

I’m always being asked …

If I own a car. Because apparently if I own a car that makes the entire Dismantle concept irrelevant! Until recently I did own a car, and I will probably own one again. I’m not a raging hippy that wants to rid the world of cars overnight. I just want to swing the balance in favour of sustainable, healthy transport.

If you could be or do anything else, what would it be?

Oh that’s easy, I’d be an Eagle for a day. Who wouldn’t like to fly?

What inspires you? Who inspires you?

The team at Dismantle inspires me every day. I am absolutely privileged to work with such creative, passionate and motivated individuals. Their ability to think critically and imaginatively to constantly improve our initiatives never ceases to amaze me. They push me to work harder and smarter. I owe Dismantles success to their commitment and drive.