Source Business Directory
NEWS  |  Careers

Changemakers – Mark Gladman

Monday, 3rd September 2012 at 10:52 am
Mark Gladman, Business Development & Marketing Manager at Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR) is profiled in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 3rd September 2012

Changemakers – Mark Gladman
Monday, 3rd September 2012 at 10:52 am

Mark Gladman, Business Development & Marketing Manager at Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR) is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Disability Sport and Recreation (DSR) is the health-promoting peak organisation for the disability sport and recreation sector. They take a person-centred approach to their mission of providing and promoting positive health outcomes for Victorians with disability through participation in sport and recreation. Various educational programs and generous donations mean they have been able to support Victorians with a disability for almost 50 years.

What are you currently working on in the organisation?
Having just commenced with DSR, my priority is to research the current status of business development priorities, in doing so developing a plan for increasing the revenue generated through corporate partnerships, grants and philanthropic trusts.

What drew you to the Not for Profit sector?
Initially my Dad’s involvement managing a branch of the YMCA influenced my involvement from an early age, then following a 10 year physical education teaching career I decided to work more specifically within the sport and recreation NFP sector.

How long have you been working in the Not for Profit sector?
My formal involvement has spanned over 30 years and I have participated for a similar length of time as a volunteer supporting a range of community organisations or events.

What was your first job in Not for Profit sector?
My first job in the NFP sector was as a part time YMCA Coordinator as I completed my phys ed degree. I have then been most fortunate to obtain several senior management positions across a diverse range of sporting and recreation organisations, all of which have provided me with valuable knowledge and experience of the NFP sector.

What is the best thing about working in the Not for Profit sector?
Working with a diverse range of community members combined with that sense of doing something to assist the community in which you live and the appreciation given for you doing so. Also from a business perspective, knowing the more you grow an organisation’s financial capacity, the more it’s reinvested back into its related community services or programs.

What do you like best about working in your current organisation?
The positive philosophy and culture of the organisation combined with knowing that the programs and services offered are making a difference for people with a disability.

I consider my greatest achievement to be……
My four children.

Favourite saying …
“That will do ya”

I’m very bad at …
Playing a musical instrument

What are you reading/watching/listening to at the moment?
More watching and listening to a range of programs and music.

If you could have dinner with two people from history, who would they be?
Sir Don Bradman
Princess Diana

My greatest challenge is …
Finding enough balance with work, kids and personal commitments.

What inspires you? Who inspires you?
Effective democratic leadership that empowers people around them
James Hird