Good 360
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD
NEWS  | 

Baby Boomers Turn 65!


Wednesday, 19th December 2012 at 9:22 am
Staff Reporter
The first Aussies born into the Baby Boomer generation (in 1946-47) have turned 65, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

Wednesday, 19th December 2012
at 9:22 am
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Baby Boomers Turn 65!
Wednesday, 19th December 2012 at 9:22 am

The first Aussies born into the Baby Boomer generation (in 1946-47) have turned 65, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

The Director of ABS Demography, Bjorn Jarvis, said this is a significant milestone for the first Baby Boomers and it raises the question of what the future holds for this large group of people. “Will they continue working, retire, travel or something else?”

As at June 30, 2012 there were 249,800 people aged 65, which was 37,500 more than the number of people aged 65 in June 2011, according to the latest figures from the ABS.

The Bureau’s quarterly estimates of Australia's population also showed a 1.6 per cent growth for the year ending 30 June 2012, a level not seen for three years.

"After two years of decline we are now seeing a rise in net overseas migration which is driving population growth back to levels last seen in 2009." Jarvis said.

Australia's population has increased by 359,600 to reach 22.7 million for the year ending June 2012. Net overseas migration accounted for 58 per cent of this growth, with the remaining 42 per cent due to natural increase (births minus deaths).

Natural increase remained steady with 297,800 births in the year ending June 2012, which is 0.4 per cent more than the previous year. The same time period saw 146,500 deaths, which is 0.2 per cent higher than the previous year.

Migration added 208,300 people to the population – 22 per cent higher than that for June 2011 (170,300 people). Western Australia claimed 23 per cent of Australia's total net overseas migration for the year ending 30 June 2012, compared with 18 per cent for the previous year.

"Western Australia continues to have the highest population growth in the country, with an increase of 78,000 people or 3.3 per cent, which is double the Australian average," Jarvis said.

"We're seeing Western Australia on the verge of breaking Queensland's record for highest interstate migration, with the state claiming the majority of the migration from Victoria, Queensland and the Northern Territory." 

The proportion of children under 14 decreased by 3 percentage points over the last 20 years while the proportion of people aged 15-64 years increased by 0.3 percentage points and the proportion of people aged 65 years and over increased by 2.7 percentage points.

"As we know, Australia's population is ageing, with Australia's median age increasing by 4.7 years over the past 20 years, from 32.7 in 1992 to 37.4 in 2012," Jarvis said.

In the 12 months to 30 June 2012, all states and territories, except for Western Australia, recorded an increase in their median age. Tasmania recorded the highest median age (40.9 years) in 2012 and the Northern Territory the lowest (31.6 years).

See the latest population figures here. 



FEATURED SUPPLIERS


NGO Recruitment is Australia’s not-for-profit sector recru...

NGO Recruitment

...


Helping the helpers fund their mission…...

FrontStream Pty Ltd (FrontStream AsiaPacific)

Brennan IT helps not-for-profit (NFP) organisations drive gr...

Brennan IT

More Suppliers

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Together, We Are The Future of Work

Contributor

Friday, 6th October 2017 at 3:01 pm

Millennials in the Workplace: Not as Different as You Think

Nick Haslam

Friday, 10th March 2017 at 3:00 pm

Gender Pay Gap Narrows Year On Year

Wendy Williams

Friday, 19th August 2016 at 4:30 pm

Eight Ways we Can Improve Indigenous Employment

Staff Reporter

Monday, 13th June 2016 at 8:30 am

POPULAR

Red Cross Moves to Wage-Based Fundraising Model

Lina Caneva

Thursday, 16th November 2017 at 8:30 am

Disability Advocacy Group Fights to Restore State Funding

Luke Michael

Thursday, 9th November 2017 at 8:37 am

Concerns Raised Over New ACNC Board Appointments

Luke Michael

Monday, 20th November 2017 at 2:28 pm

New Same-Sex Marriage Bill Looks to Protect Faith-Based Charities

Luke Michael

Monday, 13th November 2017 at 5:25 pm

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Good 360
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!