New Scholarships for the NFP Sector
Thursday, 24th January 2013 at 8:40 am
The George Alexander Foundation has set aside $364,000 for Queensland-based Australian Centre for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies Scholarships (ACPNS) over the next four years.
The Foundation is funding 24 scholarships and bursaries in 2013.
- Eight x $8,000 scholarships for students enrolling in a Graduate Certificate of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies
- One x $24,000 scholarship for a student enrolling in the Master of Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies) or Master of Business (Advanced) (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies)
- Fifteen x $1,000 bursaries for students enrolling in a Graduate Certificate of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies
ACPNS says this is in addition to existing scholarships and bursaries, book and travel grants.
In 1972, philanthropist George Alexander AM (1910 – 2008) set up an independent philanthropic foundation as a way of sharing his wealth and giving back to the community.
Today, the main focus of The George Alexander Foundation is access to education for promising young people, particularly students with financial need and those from rural and remote areas.
The George Alexander Foundation (GAF) Scholarship Programs form the core of the foundation's work, operating in partnership with major tertiary institutions.
George Alexander believed in the notion of 'planting seeds and hoping they grow into pretty big trees'. Alexander came to Australia as a child migrant, and went on to become a mechanic, an entrepreneur and a businessman and later, a generous philanthropist, who held that you do not own the possessions you have, 'you're just minding them'.
The Foundation says this philosophy guided him to give during his lifetime and to hope that through his example, he might inspire others to do the same.
For further information:
- Graduate Certificate of Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies)
- Master of Business (Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies)
Phone 07 3138 1020 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org