Equity Trustees
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Governance

Temporary Reprieve on Disabled Workers Court Action


Thursday, 23rd January 2014 at 2:43 pm
Staff Reporter
Law firm Maurice Blackburn says the Federal Government has agreed to hold off from initiating further contact with underpaid intellectually disabled workers who are part of a class action over unfair pay.

Thursday, 23rd January 2014
at 2:43 pm
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Temporary Reprieve on Disabled Workers Court Action
Thursday, 23rd January 2014 at 2:43 pm

Law firm Maurice Blackburn says the Federal Government has agreed to hold off from initiating further contact with underpaid intellectually disabled workers who are part of a class action over unfair pay.

The employment law firm says this move will affect up to 10,000 workers at disability enterprises around Australia, and will protect these workers from the risk of being misled into signing away their legal rights.

Under a payment scheme announced last week, the Government said it would make a one-off payment to intellectually disabled workers who had been unfairly paid – but only if they were not involved in the discrimination class action.

On Monday, Maurice Blackburn lodged an application asking for all communication between the Government and the workers to be supervised by the court, so that employees were not unfairly persuaded into waiving their legal rights.

Josh Bornstein, head of Maurice Blackburn's employment practice, said the Government had since agreed to temporarily stop initiating communication with disabled workers until the first class action court hearing in three weeks.

“The application seeking court supervision of communication has now been adjourned to mid-February, where it will be heard as part of the first directions hearing of the class action,” Bornstein said.

"We welcome the Government's agreement not to initiate any further contact with potential class action members, who are among the most vulnerable and low-paid workers in our community.

"This is a positive step that will help to protect intellectually disabled workers from being misled into waiving their legal rights, until the application for court supervision of future communication can be dealt with by the court.”


Staff Reporter  |  Journalist  |  @ProBonoNews



Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

My first 100 days

Lea Corbett

Monday, 17th February 2020 at 4:25 pm

Taking stock: Four tips to prevent fraud and theft in our bushfire response

Oliver May

Thursday, 6th February 2020 at 8:28 am

Lifting your gaze: Governing for social impact

Contributor

Thursday, 6th February 2020 at 8:05 am

Vote for 2019's innovators and changemakers

Wendy Williams

Thursday, 30th January 2020 at 8:31 am

POPULAR

The second NDIS shock absorber: The disability workforce

Fran Connelley

Tuesday, 11th February 2020 at 8:05 am

Adani disrupted as 75-year-old ‘locks on’ to headquarters

Maggie Coggan

Saturday, 8th February 2020 at 12:00 pm

Predictions for 2020: Shared value

Helen Steel

Tuesday, 4th February 2020 at 8:44 am

Bushfire Appeals
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!