Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Policy

Asylum Seeker Reprieve in High Court


8 July 2014 at 5:26 pm
Lina Caneva
The Federal Government has given an undertaking to not return 153 asylum seekers back to Sri Lanka without 72 hours notice during an emergency court hearing in the High Court, it has been reported.

Lina Caneva | 8 July 2014 at 5:26 pm


0 Comments


 Print
Asylum Seeker Reprieve in High Court
8 July 2014 at 5:26 pm

The Federal Government has given an undertaking to not return 153 asylum seekers back to Sri Lanka without 72 hours notice during an emergency court hearing in the High Court, it has been reported.

The High Court in Canberra temporarily blocked the Coalition Government from handing back to Sri Lanka 153 asylum seekers intercepted at sea, amid growing international objections to the tough immigration policies.

Law firm Shine, which represents 48 of the 153 people aboard one of the boats, won an injunction in a special hearing late on Monday after Immigration Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that 41 asylum seekers had been returned to Sri Lanka, in a move which has fuelled international criticism of Australia's hard-line immigration policy.

Reporters tweeting from the High Court, say the asylum seeker hearing will go to the Full Bench of the High Court.

Tweets revealed that Justice Susan Crennan announced that she would accept the Government’s undertaking not to hand asylum seekers back to Sri Lanka without 72 hours notice.

They also show that Justice Crennan said the case should be heard “expeditiously” by the Full Court.

The Federal Opposition said it retains grave concerns about the process which has been undertaken at sea.

“All of this could have been done on Christmas Island or Manus for precisely the same effect. But it would have been done more efficiently, more thoroughly, more transparently,” Shadow Minister for Immigration Richard Marles said.

“The only reason this has not occurred is to protect this Government's political scoreboard.

“Now that there is a High Court proceeding, which is underway, we expect this Government to abide by the law, and to ensure that it does not place any Australian personnel beyond the law.”

 

Lina Caneva  |  Editor  |  @ProBonoNews

Lina Caneva has been a journalist for more than 35 years. She was the editor of Pro Bono Australia News from when it was founded in 2000 until 2018.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Advertisement

CFRE

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Election mania: What should I do during caretaker?

Neil Pharaoh

Monday, 21st September 2020 at 4:24 pm

Close to 150,000 jobs at risk due to welfare cuts

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 15th September 2020 at 5:02 pm

JobSeeker recipients fear push back under poverty line

Maggie Coggan

Friday, 11th September 2020 at 4:51 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×