Finalists Announced for Australian Social Enterprise Awards
6 May 2015 at 10:26 am
Some 30 finalists from five States have been shortlisted in the 2015 Australian Social Enterprise Awards.
The national Awards, run by social enterprise development organisation Social Traders, recognise excellence amongst businesses that are trading to deliver social or community benefit.
Amongst the finalists are businesses that provide solar energy products to developing countries; an organic food delivery service that supports environmental education programs; a smash-repair workshop providing training and employment to young people at risk; and a commercial legal service that directs all profits towards providing free legal representation for disadvantaged members of the community.
Social Traders Managing Director David Brookes said this year’s finalists provide a snapshot of the talent and innovation that exists amongst Australia’s 20,000 social enterprises.
“Across Australia, social enterprises are developing innovative ways to address some of our most pressing social, environmental or economic issues. Social enterprise has the ability to create employment, generate income and strengthen local communities,” he said.
“This year’s finalists demonstrate the quality and diversity of Australia’s social enterprise sector, and through this event we acknowledge the enormous social and community benefits that are being achieved.
The 2015 Awards received 75 entries across seven award categories, including the new category of Social Enterprise Champion, which recognises an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to social enterprise.
Winners will be selected by an independent judging panel of content and sector experts, headed by respected global strategy advisor Simon Gillies from PwC and will be announced at an Awards Ceremony on Wednesday June 3 in Melbourne.
2015 AUSTRALIAN SOCIAL ENTERPRISE AWARDS FINALISTS:
Australian Social Enterprise of the Year (Small)
- Nundah Community Enterprises Cooperative Ltd (QLD)
- Illumination Australia (VIC)
- CoDesign Studio (VIC)
- CERES Fair Food (VIC)
- Melbourne Farmers Market (VIC)
Australian Social Enterprise of the Year (Large)
- Salvos Legal Limited and Salvos Legal (Humanitarian) Limited (NSW)
- Finding Workable Solutions Inc (SA)
One to Watch Award
- Pollinate Energy (VIC)
- Jeenee Mobile (NSW)
- Clean Care Cairns (QLD)
- Synergy Repairs (VIC)
- Substation 33 (QLD)
Social Enterprise Innovation Award
- Access Community Services (QLD)
- Green Collect (VIC)
- Pollinate Energy (VIC)
- High Resolves (NSW)
- Sprout Ventures (WA)
Social Enterprise Investment Award
- STREAT (VIC) – Investment by Social Ventures Australia/National Australia Bank
- Sustain Community Housing (NSW) – Investment by Social Ventures Australia/Social Enterprise Finance Australia
- MiHaven Property Fund (QLD)– Investment by Social Enterprise Finance Australia
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Food Justice Truck (VIC) – Crowdfunding by StartSomeGood
Buy Social Award
- Greater Bendigo City Council (VIC)
- Good Samaritan Industries (on behalf of the Western Australian Disability Enterprise Alliance) (WA)
- Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (SA)
Social Enterprise Champion Award *(New category in 2015)
- Matthew Gordon (VIC)
- Luke Terry (QLD)
- Russell Deal (VIC)
- Miranda Sharp (VIC)
- Jonathan Brown (VIC)
- Robert Hannaford (QLD)