Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Governance

Homelessness Peak Prepares to Close its Doors


15 December 2015 at 11:26 am
Lina Caneva
The national peak body for homelessness services, Homelessness Australia, is preparing to close its headquarters after the Federal Government stopped its funding for 2016.

Lina Caneva | 15 December 2015 at 11:26 am


0 Comments


 Print
Homelessness Peak Prepares to Close its Doors
15 December 2015 at 11:26 am

The national peak body for homelessness services, Homelessness Australia, is preparing to close its headquarters after the Federal Government stopped its funding for 2016.

The advocacy Not for Profit lost its funding in last year’s Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO) but said it would continue some of its work via its Board as staff at its Canberra headquarters, including its CEO, would be without jobs when they start to wind down at the end of January.

The Federal Government is announcing its latest MYEFO statement on Tuesday morning, with economists predicting a $1 billion deficit.

The CEO of Homelessness Australia, Glenda Stevens, said when the defunding was announced last year that “by not reinstating funding to the peak bodies the government has shown they just don’t care about those on the margins of society, whom they have designated as ‘unproductive’ persons experiencing long term homelessness, older women in housing crisis, and veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder”.

Stevens said that if funding was not restored to Homelessness Australia and National Shelter the most vulnerable Australians would lose their voice.

“Homelessness Australia’s provision of frontline services with efficient and effective capacity building programs is lost, the conduit between government and the homelessness and housing sectors is lost, community education and engagement on ending homelessness is lost and strategic and timely research and policy advice is gone,” Stevens said.

“Our members are able to make their contributions to our work, but Homelessness Australia’s work is contingent on government support to be the conduit between them and frontline homelessness and domestic violence services. Our work has a significant national impact and requires a national commitment of financial support.”

The Council to Homeless Persons (CHP), which makes up one of the three councils under Homelessness Australia’s umbrella, said the defunding was a shock for the national peak body and the executive would continue to lobby the government for funds via its ongoing board.

Chief Executive Officer of CHP, Jenny Smith, told Pro Bono Australia News that their funding had ended in July and the Board had continued to work with its reserves.

“What we are trying to do is to manage as best we can without running the office, and [ensure] that the three councils, the Council for Homeless Persons, the National Youth Coalition for Housing and the Women's Services Network, which are under Homelessness Australia have got committee structures under that,” Smith said.

“We are going to try to continue to operate around Australia as a voice for those experiencing homelessness, but without running an office. If you haven’t got funding, you haven’t got funding, and so the little bits of reserve that we have got left will be used to support that work in various ways and [we will make it] last as long as we can.

“In the future we would like to see the Federal Government fund a homelessness and housing piece and we will continue to argue for that.

“We don’t want people in Australia who are experiencing homelessness losing their national voice.”

Smith said the Council would  to cooperate with government as best they can in this difficult environment.

“I think we can see that a range of peaks were defunded and that’s extremely disappointing because it’s one thing to say that the private sector should fund peaks and they have the capacity to do that but the community sector has to take funds that have been provided or use funds that have been raised from the public,” she said.

Homelessness Australia said it received just over half of its annual budget of about $700,000 to $800,000 including membership fees.

“It was a small investment to maintain our discourse… what we are doing is in no way a reflection of the office. This is a sad duty to have to wind it down in the face of the loss of the funding,” it said.

The Executive Officer of National Shelter, Adrian Pisarski, said it was a tragedy that the removal of government funds had led to the closing down of the voice of homelessness services in Australia.

Read Glenda Steven’s Opinion on whether homelessness service should be declared essential services here.


Lina Caneva  |  Editor  |  @ProBonoNews

Lina Caneva has been a journalist for more than 35 years. She was the editor of Pro Bono Australia News from when it was founded in 2000 until 2018.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

A for-purpose recipe: the ingredients to drive impact and sustainability today

Heather Morecroft

Thursday, 24th September 2020 at 7:00 am

Election mania: What should I do during caretaker?

Neil Pharaoh

Monday, 21st September 2020 at 4:24 pm

Here’s how you can govern through a crisis

Maggie Coggan

Wednesday, 16th September 2020 at 5:48 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×