Guide to Giving
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Events, General

The Melbourne Australian Communities Forum


Tuesday, 1st December 2015 at 10:44 am
Staff Reporter
The results of a national, sector-wide study on the way Australian’s give and how charities can respond will be presented at the Melbourne Australian Communities Forum on Thursday 3 December 2015.

Tuesday, 1st December 2015
at 10:44 am
Staff Reporter


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
The Melbourne Australian Communities Forum
Tuesday, 1st December 2015 at 10:44 am

The results of a national, sector-wide study on the way Australian’s give and how charities can respond will be presented at the Melbourne Australian Communities Forum on Thursday 3 December 2015.

The Not for Profit sector is an invaluable part of  Australian society, backed by the support of four in five Aussies who have given financially to a charity in the last few years.

The insights from the research study conducted by McCrindle Research will be delivered by Mark McCrindle at the Forum.

For the full event program and to purchase tickets, please visit www.australiancommunities.com.au.

A brief look at the results shows that four in five Aussie’s give financially to charity and most Australians give their support in other ways too by donating goods (63 per cent), volunteering (33 per cent) fundraising/promoting (18 per cent) and raising awareness of an issue (15 per cent)

The study found that givers are most likely to connect with a single charity or cause.

More than two in three (69 per cent) of Aussies will connect with a single charity or cause rather than multiple causes (31 per cent), and over half (53 per cent) are ad hoc givers, who are more likely to respond to opportunities or brand/awareness campaigns. The remaining 47 per cent are regular donors.

Australian givers are also more likely to give sporadically (36 per cent) and when appeals and campaigns roll around (29 per cent) or around calendar events like Christmas (10 per cent). While 4 per cent give at the end of financial year, one in five (21 per cent) are regular givers to charitable causes.

The study found that more donations have a local focus, and support activity not just advocacy.

Over half (53 per cent) of Aussies would prefer to give to locally focused charities than global initiatives (6 per cent). One in three (33 per cent) want to see direct action being taken, compared to 26 per cent that would prefer that awareness be raised for a cause.

When looking for a charity to support, seven in 10 Aussies (71 per cent) consider knowing and trusting the charity to be extremely or very important to them, and is the top motivating factor to their engagement. This was followed by seeing the need (62 per cent) and the desire to make a better world (56 per cent).

The bottom three motivating factors were a responsibility to share (28 per cent), religious faith (20 per cent) and social pressure (15 per cent).

So how can charities engage? Find out more at the Melbourne Australian Communities Forum. Book NOW at www.australiancommunities.com.au

Thursday 3 December 2015

9:30am-4:30pm

Melbourne City Mission Conference Centre

164-180 Kings Way South Melbourne, 3205



Guide to Giving

FEATURED SUPPLIERS


NGO Recruitment is Australia’s not-for-profit sector recru...

NGO Recruitment

Yes we’re lawyers, but we do a lot more....

Moores

...


Helping the helpers fund their mission…...

FrontStream Pty Ltd (FrontStream AsiaPacific)

More Suppliers

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Survey Reveals Australian Attitudes to Torture in Conflict

Lina Caneva

Tuesday, 6th December 2016 at 3:05 pm

Indigenous Advocate Named 2016 Telstra Business Woman of the Year

Lina Caneva

Tuesday, 22nd November 2016 at 12:30 pm

Aussies Say Yes to Multiculturalism, Marriage Equality But No To Politics

Lina Caneva

Tuesday, 22nd November 2016 at 11:05 am

NFP Collaboration Needed to Assist Migrant Women

Lina Caneva

Thursday, 3rd November 2016 at 3:53 pm

POPULAR

Moves to Stop Volunteering at Overseas Orphanages

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 13th September 2017 at 1:54 pm

Future Uncertain for Disability Organisations Following Funding Cuts

Wendy Williams

Tuesday, 19th September 2017 at 8:29 am

Majority of NFPs Are Not Believed to be Well-Run, According to New Survey

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 12th September 2017 at 4:14 pm

More Australians Are Giving Time Not Money

Wendy Williams

Monday, 11th September 2017 at 5:07 pm

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Guide to Giving
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

The social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!