Government Youth Job Initiatives Announced
7 March 2016 at 8:30 am
The Federal Government has announced the first organisations to deliver the new Empowering YOUth Initiatives, which will provide a range of innovative ways to help vulnerable young people into sustainable employment.
Minister for Employment, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash, announced the successful organisations under round one of the program at Headspace in Dandenong on Friday.
“Organisations such as Headspace have thought outside the box to come up with innovative ways to engage in a young person’s life at a time when they are at a crossroads and at risk of falling into welfare dependency,” Minister Cash said.
“Young Australians are at a stage in their lives when their potential is immense and they have a lifetime of gainful employment in front of them – policies and programmes must be implemented to ensure they do not enter a cycle of long term unemployment.
“Headspace is one of the 20 innovative organisations selected through a highly competitive grant process to deliver Empowering YOUth Initiatives.
“Each of these organisations was selected for their experience and their innovative approaches to engage young people and help them break through obstacles that are limiting their job prospects.”
Minister Cash said youth unemployment, both globally and in Australia, is unacceptably high.
“We know that early intervention is fundamental, particularly for those who need additional support to become more competitive in the job market,” she said.
She said Empowering YOUth Initiatives will support measures from Not for Profit and non-government organisations to help long-term unemployed young people, or those at risk of long-term unemployment, to find and stay in employment. Further rounds will be announced mid-year.
Also on Friday the Federal Government announced the final 27 organisations in New South Wales and Victoria that will support young people into work or further education under the third round of the new Transition to Work service.
The organisations will start delivering services from April 2016.
Minister Cash said $322 million had been committed to the service over four years, to provide young people aged 15 to 21 with the support they need to become work ready or find their way back to education.
“We know that while most young people transition successfully between school and further education or employment, there are many that do not and they have a high risk of long-term unemployment,” she said.
“While the youth unemployment rate has declined in the last twelve months, it is still just too high. Through Transition to Work, we will help around 29,000 people each year who require intensive support to address the barriers they face to entering and remaining in the workforce.
“Since the first round was announced in January, 11 providers have commenced providing services and there are more than 1,000 participants who are connected with a Transition to Work provider.”
Transition to Work will be delivered by community-based organisations experienced in working with young people and will offer a range of tailored individual, group or self-directed activities.
Transition to Work was part of the Australian Government’s Youth Employment Strategy, announced in the 2015-16 Budget.