Civil Voices
NEWS  |  Communities

A Christmas Carol for the Australia We Want

Thursday, 22nd December 2016 at 9:23 am
Lina Caneva, Editor
In the midst of some serious reflections on 2016 and the recent release of the Community Council for Australia’s campaign for the “Australia We Want” comes a Christmas carol with a difference.

Thursday, 22nd December 2016
Lina Caneva, Editor

A Christmas Carol for the Australia We Want
Thursday, 22nd December 2016 at 9:23 am

So what happens when 60 leaders from across the Australian charity and not-for-profit sector come together to talk about their future, the future of their children and the future of their country?

“Not only do they arrive at an agreed set of values and measures they believe are critical in achieving the kind of Australia they would like to live in, they also contribute to the writing and performing of a special Christmas carol,” CCA CEO David Crosbie said.

“At the end of a very interesting year where public trust and personal values have assumed even more importance, reflecting on the kind of Australia we want to live in makes sense.

“I am not so sure about the singing ability of staff within some CCA member organisations, but I would hope this Christmas carol, sung by the digitally massed CCA choir, will provide a bit of fun, and promote some discussion about how Australia is really doing beyond finances and budget measures.”

The CCA massed choir singing the Australia We Want version of the Twelve Days of Christmas can be downloaded from here.

“Australians are much more than passengers in an economy. We may be losing faith in our politicians, but that just makes our community, family and workplace connections, and the charities that support them, more important,”CCA chair Tim Costello said as part of CCA’s Christmas message.

“Christmas is a time of reflection for many of us, so we are offering a set of values and indicators we think are important for all of us in imagining and working towards the kind of Australia we would like to live in.”

So here are the the words to the Australia We Want – Twelve Days of Christmas including indicators and values (in brackets).

On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, the Australia we would like to see.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, less kids in prison, in the Australia we would …  (just)

On the third day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, fairer income rates… (fair)

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, safer streets at night … (safe)

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, less suicides …  (inclusive)

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, housing for the poor … (equal opportunity)

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, more jobs for women ,,, (equal opportunity)

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, open government … (authentic)

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, increased arts all round … (creative)

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, less greenhouse gasses … (sustainable)

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, new volunteers … (kind)

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me, more regular giving … (generous)

Some of the contributors include RSPCA, Pro Bono Australia, Jayne Meyer Tucker and Settlement Services International.

Lina Caneva  |  Editor |  @ProBonoNews

Lina Caneva has been a journalist for more than 35 years, and Editor of Pro Bono Australia News since it was founded in 2000.

FEATURED SUPPLIERS

NGO Recruitment is Australia’s not-for-profit sector recru...

NGO Recruitment

...

Yes we’re lawyers, but we do a lot more....

Moores

Brennan IT helps not-for-profit (NFP) organisations drive gr...

Brennan IT