Go Salary
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Governance

Fraud Charges Dropped Against Street Swags Founder


Wednesday, 20th December 2017 at 12:14 pm
Wendy Williams
Police have dropped seven fraud charges against Street Swags founder Jean Madden, who had been accused of misappropriating funds from the charity.


Wednesday, 20th December 2017
at 12:14 pm
Wendy Williams


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Fraud Charges Dropped Against Street Swags Founder
Wednesday, 20th December 2017 at 12:14 pm

Police have dropped seven fraud charges against Street Swags founder Jean Madden, who had been accused of misappropriating funds from the charity.

The former Queensland Young Australian of the Year was charged in July 2016 with one count of dishonestly causing detriment to the charity, with a further eight charges laid against her earlier this year including six counts of fraud, one count of falsifying record and one count of attempted fraud.

However the director of public prosecutions withdrew seven charges on Monday due to lack of evidence.

Madden, who was not required to appear in Brisbane’s Magistrates Court on Monday, is still facing two charges, which will be referred back to the Police Prosecutions Unit.

According to media reports, her lawyer Kris Jahnke said Madden would fight to clear her name.

“My client maintains her innocence and the remaining two charges will be vigorously defended,” Jahnke was quoted in The Courier-Mail.

Madden, who founded Street Swags, which provides lightweight and waterproof sleeping bags for the homeless, in 2010, posted a video on Facebook labelling the seven charges as “malicious and downright stupid”.

“After a two year witch hunt, an incredible amount of accusations and defamations slung at me, today seven malicious and downright stupid charges against me have been dropped,” Madden said.

“The faceless men behind this destruction of my life and the good that I created in the world still haven’t found anything on me, because I’ve never done anything wrong.”

Her case will return to court for a summary call over on 17 January.


Wendy Williams  |  Editor  |  @WendyAnWilliams

Wendy Williams is a journalist specialising in the not-for-profit sector and broader social economy. She has been the editor of Pro Bono News since 2018.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Morrison government’s welfare fraud lab comes under fire

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 7th August 2019 at 4:23 pm

Auditor-general uncovers rising NDIS fraud allegations

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 26th June 2019 at 3:59 pm

RSL NSW Fraud Charge Reignites Fix Fundraising Campaign

Maggie Coggan

Wednesday, 30th January 2019 at 5:10 pm

POPULAR

Our royal commission is not yet a safe place for people with disability

Emma Bennison

Wednesday, 6th November 2019 at 4:59 pm

Disability royal commission begins amid fears around support services

Luke Michael

Monday, 4th November 2019 at 12:58 pm

Report finds NFP boards lack leadership in fundraising

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 13th November 2019 at 2:30 pm

Why Australia needs more noisy charities!

David Crosbie

Thursday, 7th November 2019 at 8:58 am

Go Salary
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!