GTG
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
NEWS  |  Communities

Disability Groups Slam Changes to DES Program


Thursday, 19th July 2018 at 4:24 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist
It is feared the Commonwealth’s new $800 million disability employment program, being described as a “deep disappointment”, will only make it harder for people with disability to find work, national disability groups say.


Thursday, 19th July 2018
at 4:24 pm
Luke Michael, Journalist


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
Disability Groups Slam Changes to DES Program
Thursday, 19th July 2018 at 4:24 pm

It is feared the Commonwealth’s new $800 million disability employment program, being described as a “deep disappointment”, will only make it harder for people with disability to find work, national disability groups say.

The Disability Employment Services (DES) program changed on 1 July after extensive community consultation, but national disability organisations gathered on Thursday to express “grave concerns”.

Suzanne Colbert AM, CEO of Australian Network on Disability (AND), said the reforms did not deliver on the promise of providing informed choice for people with disability seeking employment.

“Sadly, the views of people with disability and employers have been overlooked in these reforms and we fear the new system will make it harder for employers to recruit people with disability,” Colbert said.

Colbert welcomed some reforms, including continued funding of workplace adjustments through the Employment Assistance Fund and support for employees to retain their employment through the Work Assist program.

Disability advocates criticised DES changes which meant participants could no longer access past provider performance data to help inform their decision when choosing a provider.

DES is a key national program designed to help people with disability find work, but so far only around one in ten DES participants have managed to secure employment for more than 12 months in a job.

The program’s changes included a focus on creating competition and contestability in service delivery, improving incentives for providers to place job seekers in employment and a trial of expanded DES eligibility for final-year school students.

Therese Sands, co-CEO of People with Disability Australia, said the federal government was simply spending $800 million a year to prop up a failed system.

“Nationally only 53 per cent of people with disability of working age are in paid work, compared to 83 per cent of their non-disabled peers. This huge employment gap has not changed over the last 20 years,” Sands said.

“Throughout the reform process, we stressed the need for people with disability to be able to make informed choices and decisions about their employment support, and that this support should provide the individualised assistance required by people with disability.

“These reforms don’t offer people with disability the choice they were promised, or the individual assistance for their particular disability.”

Sands said that despite advocates’ “deep disappointment”, they would continue working with government to improve disability employment outcomes.

“We note government commitments to ongoing review of the reforms, including how the DES funding model is working and assessment of outcomes data,” Sands said.

“We will be continuing to monitor the evidence of whether the DES reforms are making a real difference for people with disability and their engagement in long-term and ongoing employment.”


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au


Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Disability Advocates Welcome Pledge to Remove NDIA Staff Cap

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 8th August 2018 at 5:12 pm

Royal Commission Allows Social Sector to Help Disability Abuse Victims

Paul Carter

Tuesday, 26th June 2018 at 8:43 am

NDIA ‘Concerned’ About Record Level of Complaints

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 29th May 2018 at 4:46 pm

Disability Advocates ‘Betrayed’ by NDIS Medicare Levy Backflip

Luke Michael

Thursday, 26th April 2018 at 3:40 pm

POPULAR

Concerns Raised Over NDIS Barriers for Homeless People With Disability

Maggie Coggan

Tuesday, 7th August 2018 at 8:24 am

NFPs Urged to Focus on Purpose

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 7th August 2018 at 8:27 am

New Report Says Wealth Inequality Increasing in Australia

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 31st July 2018 at 7:30 am

Homelessness Leaving Young Australians Fearful of ‘Losing’ Future

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 1st August 2018 at 3:07 pm

GTG
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!