Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Social Affairs

Disability Advocates Call For NDIS Funding Certainty


29 October 2018 at 4:42 pm
Luke Michael
Disability groups are demanding assurances that National Disability Insurance Scheme funding is secure and fully covered into the future, after it emerged $3.9 billion originally promised to the scheme will be redirected to fund drought relief.


Luke Michael | 29 October 2018 at 4:42 pm


0 Comments


 Print
Disability Advocates Call For NDIS Funding Certainty
29 October 2018 at 4:42 pm

Disability groups are demanding assurances that National Disability Insurance Scheme funding is secure and fully covered into the future, after it emerged $3.9 billion originally promised to the scheme will be redirected to fund drought relief.

The federal government’s $5 billion Drought Future Fund, announced on Friday, will be partly funded through the Building Australia Fund (BAF) – despite this money previously being earmarked for the NDIS.

Disability groups are seeking clarity from the government around future funding for the scheme.

National Disability Services CEO Chris Tanti said the disability sector needed certainty about NDIS funding so it could plan for the growth needed under the scheme.

“[Prime Minister] Morrison guaranteed when he was treasurer that the NDIS is fully funded and would remain fully funded, without the need to increase the Medicare Levy,” Tanti said.

“It’s not fair to people with disability, their families, carers and disability service providers to keep creating uncertainty about the scheme, which has such overwhelming support in the community.”

The government sought to clarify the funding situation on the weekend, with Finance Minister Mathias Cormann releasing a statement that said the NDIS would be fully funded from general budget revenue, because legislation to repeal the BAF had failed to pass the Senate.

“Given the measures required to transfer funds into the proposed NDIS Savings Fund Special Account have not been supported by the Senate… the relevant special account has not been established, nor has money been transferred into it,” Cormann said.

“Instead the government has now fully and sustainably funded the NDIS out of consolidated revenue.”

People with Disability Australia (PWDA) welcomed Cormann’s comments, but said the government needed to make sure that people with disability heard this loud and clear to allay the community’s fears and anxiety.

“We have consistently argued that funding for the NDIS can never be the result of cuts in other areas, such as social services, income support, education or drought funding,” PWDA said in a statement.

“PWDA would welcome the government, and particularly the Minister for Social Services, the Hon. Paul Fletcher MP, restating its position that NDIS funding is secure and fully covered into the future.”

Minister Fletcher did reiterate on Sunday that the NDIS was fully funded, and said people with disability could be sure the scheme was secure.  

“As the prime minister and finance minister have made clear, under our Liberal-National government the NDIS is fully funded – thanks to the strong economy and our careful management of the budget.”

Every Australian Counts campaign coordinator Kirsten Deane said it was fine to fund the NDIS through general budget revenue, as long as the government was committed to maintaining this funding even when the economy was struggling.

“The NDIS has to be funded both in the good times and bad. It’s great the economy is healthy now but we expect them to keep this commitment even if the economy isn’t in such good shape,” Deane told Pro Bono News.

“People have disabilities for life and so people need support and certainty that the scheme is going to be there for them when they need it.”

Deane said stories about NDIS funding uncertainty had caused a great deal of anxiety and stress among people with disabilities, and that the government needed to make it clear the scheme was fully funded into the future.

“It’s on the government to go back to people to reassure them that their commitment will hold and that they will fund the NDIS,” she said.

“The government also needs to get the NDIS working the way it is supposed to. The reason people are frustrated and upset is because they’re not getting the support from the scheme that they need.”


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Community sector rallies around residents in hard lock down

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 6th July 2020 at 5:38 pm

Advocates push to allow reusable cups at Aussie cafes again

Luke Michael

Friday, 3rd July 2020 at 4:43 pm

Why youth services must be accessible

Issy Orosz

Wednesday, 1st July 2020 at 7:14 pm

The Indigenous-led solutions being pushed to the back of decision making

Maggie Coggan

Wednesday, 1st July 2020 at 6:14 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×

We need your help.

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Pro Bono Australia has seen a devastating fall in advertising and less people posting on our job board, which is how we fund our free news service. You can show us that you value the work we do by making a contribution.

 Make a contribution 

You have Successfully Subscribed!