Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Social Affairs

Tasmania Secures Long-Term Funding Certainty For NDIS


11 December 2018 at 5:24 pm
Luke Michael
Tasmania has secured long-term funding certainty for the National Disability Insurance Scheme after signing a five-year deal with the federal government.


Luke Michael | 11 December 2018 at 5:24 pm


0 Comments


 Print
Tasmania Secures Long-Term Funding Certainty For NDIS
11 December 2018 at 5:24 pm

Tasmania has secured long-term funding certainty for the National Disability Insurance Scheme after signing a five-year deal with the federal government.

Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher announced on Tuesday the state government had agreed to make fixed, upfront funding contributions for the NDIS while the Commonwealth would pay the balance of scheme costs in Tasmania.

The deal also allows Tasmania to access $222.6 million of DisabilityCare Australia Fund payments between 2018-19 and 2023-24.

“This agreement sets in place long-term arrangements for the funding and governance of the NDIS in Tasmania, providing certainty to the people of Tasmania,” Fletcher said.

Tasmanian Premier Will Hodgman said the agreement highlighted the state government’s commitment to supporting people with disability.

“At full scheme, the NDIS is expected to support around 10,600 Tasmanians with disability to achieve their goals,” Hodgman said.

“The NDIA is already supporting more than 5,000 Tasmanians with disability, more than one-third of whom were not previously receiving government funded disability supports.”

Tasmanian Disability Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma added that the NDIS would give Tasmanians with disability greater choice and control over their supports, and strengthen the state’s economy by creating around 2,500 new jobs in the sector.

“All existing clients who are eligible for the NDIS will continue to be supported by the state until they have an approved NDIS plan in place,” Petrusma said.

The NDIS is currently available for people under 49 in Tasmania. It is scheduled to be available to adults aged 50 to 64 from 1 January next year and available to all eligible Tasmanians by 1 July 2019 – the same day the funding deal takes effect.


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Advertisement

CFRE

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Calls for Indigenous youth to co-design the programs that support them

Luke Michael

Thursday, 24th September 2020 at 8:00 am

Housing for all makes ‘good business sense’

Peter Mares

Wednesday, 23rd September 2020 at 4:48 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×

We need your help.

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Pro Bono Australia has seen a devastating fall in advertising and less people posting on our job board, which is how we fund our free news service. You can show us that you value the work we do by making a contribution.

 Make a contribution 

You have Successfully Subscribed!