2019 Impact 25
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Big PictureAround the world

NZ government urged to correct a ‘decade of neglect’ in disability services


Monday, 25th November 2019 at 4:32 pm
Luke Michael
A new report says the NZ disability service system needs a $574 million funding injection


Monday, 25th November 2019
at 4:32 pm
Luke Michael


0 Comments


FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

 Print
NZ government urged to correct a ‘decade of neglect’ in disability services
Monday, 25th November 2019 at 4:32 pm

A new report says the NZ disability service system needs a $574 million funding injection

Around 15,000 people in New Zealand are missing out on disability support because of a major funding crisis, new research shows.

The New Zealand Disability Support Network (NZDSN) is calling on the NZ government to deliver a substantial boost to disability services in the 2020 budget after its report uncovered a $574 million funding shortfall.

NZDSN chief executive Dr Garth Bennie said it was high time the government delivered on its promise to put wellbeing at the heart of all its decision making.

“The sector is in crisis at every point,” Bennie said.

“What we urgently need is a step change in the government’s approach to correct a decade of neglect and underfunding and put the sector on a sustainable footing.”

Bennie said providers were not funded sufficiently for the services they offered, which had made it difficult for people with disability to get the help they needed.

The report estimated there were 15,000 people with disability who were eligible for support but missing out.

“[That is] another 25 per cent on top of those currently in the system, who are eligible to receive support,” Bennie said.

“It is also very likely that this additional group are disproportionately Maori, Pacific Peoples, poor and rural.”

NZ Health Minister Dr David Clark said last month the government was trying to turn around a disability system that had been “woefully underfunded and neglected”.

Bennie said he wanted to work with the NZ government to help achieve this.

“It is time for the government to deliver so we can truly enable good lives for all disabled people and their families in our communities,” he said.


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.


Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers?

Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au

Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Victoria Looks to Divest Disability Services as Part of NDIS Rollout

Lina Caneva

Thursday, 27th April 2017 at 4:46 pm

Benevolent Society to Take Over NSW Govt Disability Support Services

Lina Caneva

Thursday, 2nd March 2017 at 3:41 pm

Analysis Paralysis: When NDIS Choice Becomes a Burden

Evie Naufal

Thursday, 9th February 2017 at 8:10 am

Endeavour Foundation Named CoAct’s Employer of the Year

Wendy Williams

Monday, 27th June 2016 at 11:12 am

POPULAR

The NDIS needs a new plan

Wendy Williams

Tuesday, 3rd December 2019 at 8:15 am

White Ribbon Australia to see another day

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 25th November 2019 at 5:05 pm

Aussie charity wins Business of the Year Award

Luke Michael

Monday, 25th November 2019 at 3:55 pm

2019 Impact 25
pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Get the social sector's most essential news coverage. Delivered free to your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

You have Successfully Subscribed!