Face-to-face public fundraising suspended
Wednesday, 25th March 2020 at 4:49 pm
Charitable fundraising has been hit extremely hard by COVID-19
The Public Fundraising Regulatory Association has instructed all members to immediately suspend face-to-face public fundraising, as the coronavirus pandemic takes hold.
The PFRA board said it made the decision after “careful consideration” of public health advice issued by the federal government.
In a statement, the board said it had consulted extensively with its members before making the decision, and would regularly review its position as the situation developed.
“The PFRA board will meet on a regular basis to constantly review this situation, and will be informed by the most up-to-date advice from the Commonwealth, state and territory governments,” the board said.
Charitable fundraising has been hit extremely hard by COVID-19, with many charities forced to cancel fundraising events in recent weeks.
Fundraising Institute Australia CEO Katherine Raskob issued an update on Sunday, which said she had been in touch with the office of Charities Minister Zed Seselja to discuss the impacts of COVID-19 on the fundraising sector.
She said she was also discussing with FIA members “the key areas where we need assistance if we are to continue to raise funds effectively for all our beneficiaries“.