Close Search
 
MEDIA, JOBS & RESOURCES for the COMMON GOOD
News  |  Social AffairsDisability

Disability groups welcome royal commission extension


18 May 2021 at 8:19 am
Luke Michael
“We are very pleased that the voices of people with disability have been heard on this issue”


Luke Michael | 18 May 2021 at 8:19 am


0 Comments


 Print
Disability groups welcome royal commission extension
18 May 2021 at 8:19 am

“We are very pleased that the voices of people with disability have been heard on this issue”

The Morrison government has announced it is extending the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability by 17 months, following strong campaigning from the sector. 

This extension – which pushes the final commission reporting date to 29 September 2023 – was first requested by inquiry chair Ronald Sackville AO QC amid the release of the interim report in November last year.

Sackville noted that the inquiry has been deeply affected by the lockdowns and other consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to fears there was not enough time left for the inquiry to conduct its investigations thoroughly.

In April, disability groups launched a campaign calling on the government to urgently grant this extension, following the Morrison government’s failure to respond to Sackville’s request.

The government formally accepted the request last Thursday, with Social Services Minister Anne Ruston noting this would “enable the government to receive and implement recommendations as expeditiously as possible”.

Sackville said he welcomed the decision.

“With the granting of this extension, it is now possible for the royal commission to discharge its considerable responsibilities to a standard that informed observers would regard as acceptable,” Sackville said.

“Along with arranging our public hearing schedule, we can organise private sessions with certainty, proceed with the royal commission’s research program and conduct a full range of engagement activities.”

People with Disability Australia CEO Sebastian Zagarella said the extension was a win for the disability community.

“We are very pleased that the voices of people with disability have been heard on this issue,” Zagarella said.

“Violence against people with disability is still endemic in Australia, and we now have the time we need to properly engage with the [inquiry] on the wide range of issues it still needs to investigate.” 


Luke Michael  |  Journalist  |  @luke_michael96

Luke Michael is a journalist at Pro Bono News covering the social sector.

PB Careers
Get your biweekly dose of news, opinion and analysis to keep you up to date with what’s happening and why it matters for you, sent every Tuesday and Thursday morning.

Got a story to share?

Got a news tip or article idea for Pro Bono News? Or perhaps you would like to write an article and join a growing community of sector leaders sharing their thoughts and analysis with Pro Bono News readers? Get in touch at news@probonoaustralia.com.au or download our contributor guidelines.

Advertisement


Get more stories like this

FREE SOCIAL
SECTOR NEWS

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

New autism support service unveiled

Luke Michael

Wednesday, 9th June 2021 at 6:10 pm

Disability groups play part in COVID-19 vaccine rollout

Maggie Coggan

Monday, 7th June 2021 at 5:41 pm

Disability advocates say we need Assistive Technology for All

Luke Michael

Tuesday, 1st June 2021 at 4:26 pm

Survey highlights overwhelming opposition to independent assessments

Luke Michael

Monday, 17th May 2021 at 5:29 pm

pba inverse logo
Subscribe Twitter Facebook
×