The five ideas Australia needs now
23 February 2022 at 5:28 pm
“Our hope is that parties and candidates will sign up to our ideas – and work with us to turn them into action”
With Australians set to head to the polls in a matter of months, Anglicare Australia has released five “bold ideas” it says will help turn the country around.
The charity said that after an unprecedented two years, Australians were facing a number of problems that could only be fixed by strong political leadership.
It pointed to housing affordability, people out of work who are struggling to make ends meet, and the looming climate crisis.
Kasy Chambers, the executive director of Anglicare Australia, said that many people were “hungry for ideas”, and this proposition from the charity presented the leadership and vision the country needed.
“Anglicare Australia is stepping into the leadership void. We have real ideas for the problems we face,” Chambers said.
The five ideas include:
- a basic income that would end poverty in Australia;
- a jobs guarantee that would deliver a secure job to everyone who wanted one;
- putting the community and the community sector at the centre of the climate challenge;
- a home for every Australian; and
- a people’s inquiry into the COVID-19 response over the past two years and how it could have been done better.
“We call for leadership, for long-sighted governments that govern for everyone,” the proposal said.
Chambers said that putting these ideas into action had the potential to transform lives.
“Within months, Australians will vote in one of the most important elections we have ever faced,” she said.
“Our hope is that parties and candidates will sign up to our ideas – and work with us to turn them into action.”