Dunlea Centre
NEWS  |

Changemakers – Leah Makin

Monday, 7th May 2012 at 10:08 am
Leah Makin, Campaigns and Communications Manager at World Vision Australia, is profiled in Changemakers - a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

Monday, 7th May 2012

Changemakers – Leah Makin
Monday, 7th May 2012 at 10:08 am

Leah Makin, Campaigns and Communications Manager at World Vision Australia, is profiled in Changemakers – a regular column which examines inspiring people and their careers in the Not for Profit sector.

World Vision is Australia's largest charitable group helping more than 20 million people every year. World Vision provides relief in emergency situations and works on long-term community development projects. Together, these address the causes of poverty and help people move towards self-sufficiency.

What drew you to the Not for Profit sector?

Since I was young, I’ve wanted to do something with my life that would help others. I knew I was never going to work for a huge company to generate profit for executives and shareholders. I studied Youth Work at university and in the second year of my course, I started working for World Vision in our call centre. I realised that I didn’t need to go out and be a youth worker to have an impact on the lives of those in need. After 12 years, I am still working at World Vision, supporting our call centre and other teams to engage with our supporters, through who we are able to do great work in the field helping communities and children reach their full potential.

What is the best thing about working in the Not for Profit sector?

Knowing that you get up every day and are making a difference in the world. You spend so much time at work so why not do something really positive with your time, not only for your own career but for our global community?

What do you like best about working in your current organisation?

I believe the key to the success of any organisation is in its people and this is what I love most about working at World Vision. Our vision is “For every child, life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so”. I have the pleasure and honour to work alongside such passionate colleagues who are truly committed to achieving this vision for both the children and communities we serve, as well as our supporters. Everyone gives 110% effort and that’s a great work environment to be part of.

Favourite saying…

“Attitudes are contagious. Is your’s worth catching?” – This saying is on a post-it note on my monitor and reminds me regularly to keep a positive, can do attitude in all I do.

What are you reading/watching/listening to at the moment?

I’m re-reading one of my favourite books “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. This book has taught me about how precious life is, to live every day to the full and not sweat the small stuff.

What does a typical day for you involve?

A typical work day for me is meeting with colleagues about upcoming campaigns and discussing the impacts to our different teams who are on the front line speaking to our supporters. My day involves sharing information regularly that enables our teams to have valuable, inspiring, rewarding and passionate conversations with those who are empathetic to our cause. When I get home, I love cooking myself a fantastic vegan meal.